ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 - Update

(1/2) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
NANY 2010 Update

This year marks the 4th annual NANY Challenge: The NANY 2010 Challenge!

The aim of the NANY Challenge is to release a new programme, utility, game, etc on January 1st; you first have to have pledged your commitment to release the application in the Pledge Thread: Read the full instructions if you're interested in participating: we're always happy to meet like-minded coders who are keen to celebrate and have fun with new Freeware / Donationware. There's also an Idea Thread and Offers of Assistance to help you with your entry.

The NANY event is a community celebration, not a competition and therefore there can be no winner; apart from the obvious rewards for the software using community, everyone who participates in NANY, either as a software author or volunteer, will receive a stunning DonationCoder mug or T-Shirt with a brand new and very collectible NANY 2010 image designed by the artist Nick Pearson (See NANY 2010 Prize Graphics).

Look for Web Badges that'll be appearing across the internet that mark applications as Pledges or Entries in this Year's NANY:

This thread will include regular updates that will focus on the various entries (in no particular order), but first some interesting details about this year's Challenge.

NANY 2010 Challenge Details (as of December 31th)

* 27 Pledges
* 7 Teasers
* 15 Entries
NANY 2010 - Update

One of the wonderful surprises of each NANY is the wide variety of entries, and this year is no different, though there is (understandably) a strong bias towards Windows:

* 16 Windows Based
* 2 Interpreted (Python, Java)
* 3 Web Based
Teasers / Releases

* The Garden Social Club
* DupFind 0.9
* DocMerger
* Crush MCP
* Leap of Faith 0.01.2009.12.10
* fenixContacts
* FARR Plugin ProcessInfo 1.0.0
* Artwinauto BlitzType 0.9
* What's My Share?
* Create Dummy File 1.001
* UQ
* Countdown 0.0.25
* Reimbursement Tracker 0.3.0
* FarrWebMetaSearch
* SubDiv 0.0
* Traitor 0.01
* Anuran 1.0.12
* ClipTrap 1.0.0
* Piggy Banks 1.0.1
* Multiboot ISO Maker Alpha 7
* Page Countster
* Twigatelle 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1
* LittleRunner 1.0
Congratulations to all our Coders!

Perry Mowbray:
STOP PRESS: Pledge Deadline extended to December 18th

Due to popular demand we've extended the Pledge Deadline by a week to December 18th. There's still time to make your pledge in the NANY 2010 Pledge to Participate Here thread and get in on the fun!

N.A.N.Y. is the annual event on DonationCoder.com is where we invite, cajole, blackmail, bribe and just generally beg all of the programmers who pass through the site to pledge to release some new piece of free software on January 1st. The idea is simple, and everyone is welcome to participate regardless of their skill level.  There are no winners, but everyone gets a prize -- a very handsome DonationCoder mug commemorating the event.

Twigatelle Update
Each year we focus on Teasers and Entries that are being developed through December; this year we have a very special opportunity to journey with one of DonationCoder's intrepid coders, Twiggles, who is developing Twigatelle for N.A.N.Y 2010. Thanks to Head in the Clouds for allowing us this view into the whole NANY process!

Featured Teasers
DupFind: A simple, graphical application that scans a directory tree and reports any duplicate files found. OS's supported: Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, MacOS/X (and possibly others like OpenSolaris)
NANY 2010 - Update
Traitor: Traktor doesn't have a sampler. A DJ set is not complete without the annoying siren. Teddy doesn't do MIDI nor ASIO. You figure it out.
NANY 2010 - Update
FARR Plugin ProcessInfo: I'm a sysadmin by trade, and I frequently need to get quick information about processes running on a machine (either my own or a remote PC).  I also frequently need to know what files the process is actually using at any given moment.  And I don't necessarily want to have to access the machine directly to get that information. While there are tools already available that give me that information, none of them are particularly fast about giving it to me, and none of the are as intutive as a FARR alias/plugin could be.  So I wrote this to be the fast, simple tool that I as an admin need to get information quickly.
NANY 2010 - Update

Recent Releases
ClipTrap: ClipTrap watches the clipboard and keeps track of copied text in its window.  I initially wrote it for my workplace where we use terminal emulators (SecureCRT, PuTTY, etc.) constantly and often need to capture several successive bits of output from various routers, switches, and other devices on the network.  I fleshed it out and prettied it up for NANY 2010.  I use this in conjunction with ArsClip, a fantastic clipboard caching tool.
NANY 2010 - Update
Page Countster: The company I work for re-manufactures laser printer toner cartridges as a primary (cost center) product. We needed a way to quickly find out how many printers were on a customers network, what model they were, their page counts, serial numbers, toner levels & etc. The application had to be small, portable, fast, & simple enough for the sales staff to operate...
NANY 2010 - Update

Mini NANY Submissions
A Mini NANY does not come under the same stringent rules that a normal NANY does and can include script and other submissions that don't really fit into NANY proper.

* Gobbledegook: Mix up your sentences and keep readability.
* Gamers Alarm Clock: GAC is a simple alarm clock, albeit with a slight twist.

Perry Mowbray:
The NANY Challenge is an annual Challenge at DonationCoder where coders of all levels are challenged to pledge a New Application for the New Year and release it on January 1, 2010.

The NANY 2010 Challenge is generating a lot of interest again this year: so far we've had:

* 27 Pledges from our brave coders
* 16 Teasers to whet our appetites
* 6 Entries for us to try from the NANY Board

There's still time to join the NANY celebration! The idea is simple, and everyone is welcome to participate regardless of their skill level.  There are no winners, but everyone gets a prize -- a very handsome DonationCoder mug commemorating the event. If you know any coders, please give them a nudge and ask them to come by and give us a little bit of their time.  We know sometimes it's hard for coders to come up with good ideas, so we started a special thread just for people to post project ideas for others to consider working on; don't be shy posting your ideas.  And if you're a programmer, why not stop by the Pledge thread now and pledge to release something new by January 1 2010.  Help us make it something special -- we promise to make it fun!

Twigatelle Update
Here's the next update on Twiggles progress with his NANY 2010 entry: Twigatelle. Thanks to Head in the Clouds for allowing us this view into the whole NANY process!

Teasers / Entry Focus
Leap of Faith 0.01.2009.12.10
This is a Platformer game where the goal is to climb to the top of the screen and reach the exit.
NANY 2010 - Update

BlitzType 0.9
BlitzType is utility that helps to reduce repetitive typing, speed up typing and increase productivity in work that involves typing, writing and coding, etc. It does so by autocompleting frequently typed words and phrases or expand abbreviations into complete form for the user. BlitzType learns and saves repeated phrases as the user types. When the user is about to type a same phrase again, he/she can rely on BlitzType to autocomplete the phrase or expand the abbreviation for him/her.

Multiboot ISO Maker Alpha 7
Multiboot ISO Maker is an unrestrained graphical front end for mkisofs for Windows and a multiboot ISO creator. It supports all mkisofs options and it is aimed at people who know what mkisofs is and what is not. It is unrestrained because it supports all mkisofs options without any limits and you are not restrained to the bundled version of mkisofs. Multiboot ISO Maker works by placing all mkisofs options in a check list. You can activate and deactivate any mkisofs option by clicking on the item in the list.
NANY 2010 - Update

Countdown 0.0.25
Simple, unobtrusive countdown app which counts down to a user-selectable date.  Resizable and movable, so it can sit anywhere on your desktop.  Countdown options range from DD:HH:MM:SS to just DD, and everything in-between.
Created because I love counting down to dates and times, and I'd like to have a small app sitting on my desktop doing exactly that.
Plus, it has cool red led graphics!
NANY 2010 - Update

Perry Mowbray:
The NANY Challenge is an annual Challenge at DonationCoder where coders of all levels are challenged to pledge a New Application for the New Year and release it on January 1, 2010.

The NANY 2010 Challenge is generating a lot of interest again this year: so far we've had:

* 28 Pledges from our brave coders
* 13 Teasers to whet our appetites
* 8 Entries for us to try from the NANY Board

If you're desperate to get an entry in for this year and you have not Pledged: There's still time to join the NANY celebration! The idea is simple, and everyone is welcome to participate regardless of their skill level.  There are no winners, but everyone gets a prize -- a very handsome DonationCoder mug commemorating the event. If you know any coders, please give them a nudge and ask them to come by and give us a little bit of their time.  We know sometimes it's hard for coders to come up with good ideas, so we started a special thread just for people to post project ideas for others to consider working on; don't be shy posting your ideas.  And if you're a programmer, why not stop by the Pledge thread now and pledge to release something new by January 1 2010.  Help us make it something special -- we promise to make it fun!

Twigatelle Update
Here's the next update on Twiggles progress with his NANY 2010 entry: Twigatelle. Thanks to Head in the Clouds for allowing us this view into the whole NANY process!

Teasers / Entry Focus
fenixContacts
The main idea is just to create free and good contacts book application. For a long time I've seen dozen of tools which could make me happy but none of them did. The only reason is the lack of one feature: customisable information fields. This is the most important thing to me because in most of the cases I don't really need to see emptiness. I have never had a need for (i.e.) twenty business fields to be kept if all of them are blanks. I had found one application which could be OK but it was not free... so I've decided that someday I will write it by myself. And here I am!

Features

* Customizable Information Fields
* nice searching - both: LiveFilter and Advanced search
* import / export tool - with support for the most common file types (like vCards) or something more complicated (online databases handling)NANY 2010 - Update
Create Dummy File 1.001
This software is to make files, of variable size, which do nothing. It's uses can be to test a disk, internet speed or to fill a free space on a USB disk. Once the USB is full, there will be no space left to write, so a virus will not be able to write to the USB disk.
NANY 2010 - Update
FarrWebMetaSearch
FarrWebMetaSearch is another generic web retrieval FARR plugin. Unlike ewemoas Webgrab this plugin will show results in list mode. It is therefore targeted at web sites delivering list-like results.

Features

* searches are configured via an ini files, one for each 'search'. The file will specify search url and a regular expression to capture the result.
* search terms will be specified through the FARR input box
NANY 2010 - Update

mouser:
ps i love the new head in the clouds cartoon  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version