topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: Anuran  (Read 205993 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Release: Anuran
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Another suggestion: have the default contents of the popup's text box be the same as the previous entry's, but pre-selected, so that if the user starts typing it will be replaced by the new text, but if the user presses End and Enter, it will repeat (or even more helpful but trickier for you, just Enter to repeat.) This would be useful when one is working on the same project for a long stretch of time. Thanks!

I can make an option for this.

Can you add options to toggle these? The titlebar updating causes the window to flicker every second when using bblean+bbleanskin, and I like the cleaner look of the original popup. (Yes, I know I'm one of two, maybe three dudes using bblean and Anuran.)

I actually tested it with bbLeanSkin and it didn't flicker for me but, yes, I can make them options.  I wasn't totally happy with the statusbar, either.

Minor request: Using hotkey to toggle popup timer pause should trigger sound event (auditory feedback).

Can do.

I'm not having much luck using Korean text with Anuran.
Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anuran is not Unicode capable at this time.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 02:37 AM »
Anuran is not Unicode capable at this time.

Ah, ok.  Thanks for the feedback -- I hope it becomes so at some point :)

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 03:23 AM »
I just became a DC member to appreciate this REALLY REALLY wonderful program - Some credits coming your way :-)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 04:07 AM »
I just became a DC member to appreciate this REALLY REALLY wonderful program - Some credits coming your way :-)

Thanks for the kind words and the credits.  I appreciate both of them.  =]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 04:10 AM »
Website | Download
v1.0.17 - 2010-01-08
    + Added a "Show previous entry" option.  (Thanks, jdmarch)
    + Configured sound now plays if user pauses popup timer.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    * Made titlebar timestamp updating an option.  (Thanks, doctorfrog)
    - Took out the status bar on the popup.
    ! Hotkeys were not re-enabled if user cancelled out of the Options dialog.  (Thanks, jdmarch)

I'll work on the set-time-archival feature next.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11 AM »
+ Added a "Show previous entry" option.  (Thanks, jdmarch)
Thank you!

Took out the status bar on the popup.
  :down: I was expecting this to become an option, not be eliminated altogether! I don't see an alternate solution in place, to the problem I posed earlier: returning to the computer after a long absence, how do I quickly know how long I've been gone? Yes, I can pop up Anuview. And yes, the "show previous entry" might give a clue but there's a difference between knowing what I was last working on, and knowing how long ago it was. If I was working on "big project" and it pops up and says "big project" then I won't get a kick in the pants that says "yes, you were working on big project 2 hours ago and you are about to work on big project, but what were you doing in between?"

I'm trying a (temporary, I hope) workaround in which I disable updating the title bar so I can can see when it popped up, then press the popup hotkey so the popup's time will be updated, hope that I remember the first time, and proceed accordingly... hmm, not much of a workaround. Maybe better to pop up Anuview so I can see the previous entries.

I'll work on the set-time-archival feature next.
:up: Great!

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 06:04 PM »
:down: I was expecting this to become an option, not be eliminated altogether! I don't see an alternate solution in place, to the problem I posed earlier: returning to the computer after a long absence, how do I quickly know how long I've been gone? Yes, I can pop up Anuview. And yes, the "show previous entry" might give a clue but there's a difference between knowing what I was last working on, and knowing how long ago it was. If I was working on "big project" and it pops up and says "big project" then I won't get a kick in the pants that says "yes, you were working on big project 2 hours ago and you are about to work on big project, but what were you doing in between?"

My personal preference is to keep the popup (and indeed the program itself) as simple and passive/polite as possible, Spartan, even. In coming up with the idea for Anuran, I was trying to get away from apps that behave as icy taskmasters, and have something that politely perked up and asked what I was doing. I could easily ignore Anuran if I want, because it never gets in the way, and I never feel like I'm watched or penalized (kicked in the pants) for not sticking to an inflexible schedule. There are other apps (and people) that do this quite well. (EssentialPIM for basic taskmastering, ManicTime for all-seeing-eye app watching.)

This spirit may or may not explain why the option was removed, but knowing Skwire, you may see it or a similar option in improved form. :)

(Now, of course, my personal preferences shouldn't necessarily limit the program's scope as it gains in popularity, and it wouldn't surprise or dismay me if it turned into more of a taskmaster app. Indeed, the very first moment I made the app request, I also gave up control over the idea, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.)

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Ok, I thought of a way around this:

1. On popup, show the time per usual, static. Do not update. This retains the popup time.
2. When the popup is actually selected, update the time to current. Keep static.
3. Repeat 2 whenever popup is selected, updating the time.
4. NO CHANGE: Retain the behavior that uses the current timestamp upon recording the entry. (ie. the moment you hit ENTER, that's your log timestamp.)

If it's important to someone to know how long the popup hung around waiting for attention, they can see it, since it's always on top. If it's covered by another window that's always on top... well... that's a sign that you have too many windows on top.

Note also that this is possible entirely because Anuran doesn't ever steal your focus (my very favorite feature) :)

No added jewelry to the popup, no real need for a toggle (I think), but there will be a need to explain this in a readme. Most peeps won't even notice it unless they're looking for it.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 07:07 PM »
I hear you, docfrog, and I do support KISS. But the notion that, if the user wants to know 2 data values, then the program shows the first one, then disappears it permanently, then shows the other, is really not very user-friendly. A simple status bar notice hardly seems gaudy and it avoids that nastiness.

I agree that Anuran should not be a taskmaster, scheduler, etc. But that's not to say that it shouldn't give you simple info relevant to its purpose, which is to let you record what you were doing. How far back is "what were you doing?" YMMV.

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Would be great if you can build a feature where you can assign hotkeys for different "tags" - when the popup opens - more like the tags feature on google picassa. Is this possible ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23 AM »
I was expecting this to become an option, not be eliminated altogether!

I'll be making the statusbar an option; I just didn't have time to test it as such before the last version.  We had to do emergency upgrades at work this weekend so I've not been able to do any coding.  I should have some spare time today/tonight to get that in as well as your archive time request.

it wouldn't surprise or dismay me if it turned into more of a taskmaster app.

Hehehe...not from me, it won't.  :P :P  I really have no desire to make it into something like that since there are so many more capable and complete applications out that do exactly this.  Right now, it's unique...and I like unique.

Would be great if you can build a feature where you can assign hotkeys for different "tags" - when the popup opens - more like the tags feature on google picassa. Is this possible ?

I've had the tags idea in the back of my mind ever since I wrote in the search field portion of AnuVu.  I think it's a natural extension of something like that and it's been on my ToDo for a while now.  What I need to do is just sit down and think of an elegant way to implement it that keeps within the spirit of this app.  Thanks for the feedback.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Website | Download
v1.0.18 - 2010-01-11
    + Added popup statusbar back as an option.
    + Added a second archive method.  You can now set a specific time each day for archiving.  (Thanks, jdmarch)

With the addition of the new archiving method, I hope I didn't break anything with the old one though I'm sure you all will let me know if I did.   :P

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Thank you, skwire!

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.18 - 2010-01-11
    + Added popup statusbar back as an option.
    + Added a second archive method.  You can now set a specific time each day for archiving.  (Thanks, jdmarch)

With the addition of the new archiving method, I hope I didn't break anything with the old one though I'm sure you all will let me know if I did.   :P

I like the new archiving addition.  :) :up:

Suggestion for tagging (which I won't be using, myself. I like this as a freeform mental catchall app.):
Feature requirement: Keep the popup exactly the same if possible, with no new widgets. This keeps things simple for folks that won't be using tags, and (I believe) keeps the popup streamlined for those who will be using tags by keeping all user input in a single box. Dropdowns are speedbumps!
Feature requirement: Retain the dead simple, human-readable format for the logfiles.

With the above in mind: Use a text syntax for tags. Example possibility:

Surround tags in single or double colons, with no spaces (underscores ok). Separate multiple tags with a single colon. Colons are on the home row and easily tappable, which aids quick input.

User input looks like this:
::work:: working on code sample for mr. hapablap
::fun:: played some WoW

Multiple tag example, where work and fun are both applicable tags:
::work:fun:: designed a new title page

The double quotes and lack of spacing should screen out normal human colon usage, if I'm not too much mistaken. Anuran should regard anything string that includes a space as normal user input.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:01 PM by doctorfrog »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Suggestion for tagging (which I won't be using, myself. I like this as a freeform mental catchall app.):
Feature requirement: Keep the popup exactly the same if possible, with no new widgets. This keeps things simple for folks that won't be using tags, and (I believe) keeps the popup streamlined for those who will be using tags by keeping all user input in a single box. Dropdowns are speedbumps!
Feature requirement: Retain the dead simple, human-readable format for the logfiles.

With the above in mind: Use a text syntax for tags. Example possibility:

Surround tags in single or double colons, with no spaces (underscores ok). Separate multiple tags with a single colon. Colons are on the home row and easily tappable, which aids quick input.

Any tagging I implement will be a very simple free-form type of tagging so the user can come up with the types of tags that fit for their workflow.  Some people like @tags, others like ::tags, etc.  The tags themselves will simply be part of the note.  Basically, all it's going to do is save some typing when entering a note.  Does that make sense?  Again, I'm trying to keep it simple for myself and the user.  If somebody wants a note-taker that deals heavily with tags, I urge them to check out the fantastic CintaNotes.  I doubt I'd ever implement tagging in Anuran to the level that CintaNotes has. 

I've no desire to change up the current .anu file format.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Tags: not an issue for me, so my comments may not be relevant, but why not just suggest that anyone who wants to use tags, can add the relevant shortcuts into their default AHK script?

BTW, speaking of clean text files, Anuran has quite a few superfluous LF (^J) characters in the file, at the end of entries. Seems that maybe they are an artifact of the "default to previous text" feature. Doesn't seem to affect Anuview, but can be a small nuisance when editing the file. How about removing leading and trailing white space before appending to the log file?

Thanks.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Tags: not an issue for me, so my comments may not be relevant, but why not just suggest that anyone who wants to use tags, can add the relevant shortcuts into their default AHK script?

Well, not everyone uses a default AHK script.

BTW, speaking of clean text files, Anuran has quite a few superfluous LF (^J) characters in the file, at the end of entries. Seems that maybe they are an artifact of the "default to previous text" feature. Doesn't seem to affect Anuview, but can be a small nuisance when editing the file. How about removing leading and trailing white space before appending to the log file?

Yes, I can do this.  However, it will remove the ability for the user to add in extra linefeeds of their own at the end of a note.  I don't see this being a huge issue, though.

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 06:00 AM »
I like this release!

I like the remember last comment but have disabled it as I have to grab the mouse to delete the last entry if it isn't the same. Is there a way for the text to be pre-highlighted? That way if I start typing then it is replaced but if I hit enter it is saved. And is only a delete enter away from being left blank.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04 AM »
I like this release!

Thanks.  This project has turned out to be more popular than I initially thought it might.

I like the remember last comment but have disabled it as I have to grab the mouse to delete the last entry if it isn't the same. Is there a way for the text to be pre-highlighted? That way if I start typing then it is replaced but if I hit enter it is saved. And is only a delete enter away from being left blank.

It should already be pre-selected.  However, if you activate the window by clicking within the edit field, it will deselect it.  Try activating the popup by clicking the titlebar...the text should remain pre-selected.  Let me know...

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 06:41 AM »
OK, it worked that time. I wonder what happened. I'll leave it running for the rest of the day and see if it was just me mistaking what happened.

Also if I don't want to write anything (i.e. I blank the window and press enter) the next entry is blank. This sort of makes sense, but I was wondering if that was the design or not.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Also if I don't want to write anything (i.e. I blank the window and press enter) the next entry is blank. This sort of makes sense, but I was wondering if that was the design or not.

Well...technically...it was the last entry, right?   :P  I assume you would like it changed so that if an entry is blank it still uses the last known good entry?

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 07:48 AM »

Well...technically...it was the last entry, right?   :P  I assume you would like it changed so that if an entry is blank it still uses the last known good entry?

I'm not sure to be honest. If I don't want to write anything then it is unlikely that I'm still doing the same thing as before. To be honest when I write nothing it's because I'm on here, facebook or messenger and don't really want to admit it in a log

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 08:47 AM »
I assume you would like it changed so that if an entry is blank it still uses the last known good entry?
I thought (and liked) that the spec was that if an entry is blank then no log entry is made.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I assume you would like it changed so that if an entry is blank it still uses the last known good entry?
I thought (and liked) that the spec was that if an entry is blank then no log entry is made.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  What I meant was that, if the entry was blank, it would re-use the previously known good entry to populate the next popup.  Does that make more sense?

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  What I meant was that, if the entry was blank, it would re-use the previously known good entry to populate the next popup.  Does that make more sense?

Yes, that would be nice! I had not considered that.