topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: ClipTrap  (Read 131000 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Release: ClipTrap
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2014, 12:37 AM »
Website | Download
v1.2.2 - 2014-12-21
    + Added security option to delete the clip.txt file on program exit.
      (Thanks, Dallas E.)
    + Added new tray icon states to show whether or not the clipboard and/or the
      ClipTray window is empty.  For an explanation of all of them, go to the
      'Options tab > Tray icon legend' section.

dallas7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2015, 05:08 PM »
A few months ago, I copied my Windows 7 ClipTrap folder to a system running in a Windows 10 x64 environment (then Tech Preview and currently RTM) and it's been running A-OK.  So, Windows 10 compatible!  :up:  Just thought I'd post that up as an FYI.  Cheers.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2015, 06:45 PM »
A few months ago, I copied my Windows 7 ClipTrap folder to a system running in a Windows 10 x64 environment (then Tech Preview and currently RTM) and it's been running A-OK.  So, Windows 10 compatible!  :up:  Just thought I'd post that up as an FYI.  Cheers.

Thank you for the report.  Much appreciated.  =]

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2016, 11:35 AM »
It seems to me I've found my clipboard manager.
Your clipboard manager has all what I need:
- simple
- button to stop/start monitoring
- on top!

But why do I need to copy a line before being enable to copy it to the clipboard?
Why didn't you just make every line (every single clip) clickable?

ps: I confirm that it is wind10 compatible.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2016, 05:14 PM »
But why do I need to copy a line before being enable to copy it to the clipboard?
Why didn't you just make every line (every single clip) clickable?

Long-winded explanation coming up...   ;)

This goes way back to why I wrote ClipTrap in the first place.  During that time, my job entailed working on the CLI of many different networking devices (routers, switches, BRAS, DSLAMS, etc.) and it was very common to have to run several commands on various devices and then get all that content into, say, a trouble ticket.  As you might imagine, this involved very long outputs (1000s of lines) of text.  ClipTrap was designed to make this sort of temporary aggregation of data very easy.

For instance, let's assume you have six different SSH sessions open to various devices.  You clear ClipTrap's current state, run your commands on those devices, and then do a copy command on each window.  You then switch over to ClipTrap, which now has all the outputs from the six SSH windows.  You do a copy there in ClipTrap and, bam, you're ready to paste all that output into a trouble ticket, email, etc.  Does that make sense?

ClipTrap was never designed as a long-term permanent database type of clipboard caching tool as there are plenty of those already available.  As it states on ClipTrap's webpage, you can think of ClipTrap as something in between using a full-fledged clipboard manager and using nothing. I use this in conjunction with ArsClip, a fantastic clipboard caching tool.

ps: I confirm that it is wind10 compatible.

Great to hear.  Thank you for the report.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Skwire, I have an idea for ClipTrap.
Since ClipTrap makes archives of the last X number of text files, what if there was an option or command to open that folder in Explorer? 
It would be easy to implement.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Oh, and I have another idea.
At the bottom of the Clips Tab, there is Copy Window Text, but who really ever wants to copy *everything* like that?
What if there was a button for "Copy Entry" or "Copy Line"?
Then you could put the cursor on the line you wanted and copy everything between delimiters with one button without having to select the text.

I was using ClipX for the longest time, but then something happened - I don't know what - and it was breaking my ctrl+C key and I couldn't copy anything anymore unless I closed it.  Strange.  But if there was "Copy Line" in ClipTrap, I wouldn't need another clipboard program.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Skwire, I have an idea for ClipTrap.
Since ClipTrap makes archives of the last X number of text files, what if there was an option or command to open that folder in Explorer? 
It would be easy to implement.

Yep, easily doable as a menu item.  I will add this.

At the bottom of the Clips Tab, there is Copy Window Text, but who really ever wants to copy *everything* like that?

Well, that's how ClipTrap came about.  I initially wrote it for a previous workplace where we used terminal emulators (SecureCRT, PuTTY, etc.) constantly and routinely had need to capture several successive bits of output from various routers, switches, and other devices on the network.  Then we would copy all that aggregated input and dump it into a log, or a trouble ticket, etc.

What if there was a button for "Copy Entry" or "Copy Line"?
Then you could put the cursor on the line you wanted and copy everything between delimiters with one button without having to select the text.

Even though you can specify a delimiter, ClipTrap has no concept of entries.  Yes, I could probably figure out the text between two delimiters but that could get messy.  What if the chosen delimiter was part of the text of a clip, etc.?  Copying the line the caret happens to be on would be as good as it gets.

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2018, 05:11 AM »
Two "enhancement" requests:

1.  Allow the window to go a little narrower than presently allowed.

2.  Allow user to select colors of font and background.

Thanks, Skwire!

Nicholas Kormanik