ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Can Buttons be Dynamically Moved, Resized, etc. in Your Language?

<< < (4/4)

CodeTRUCKER:
This isn't actually a language question. It's a platform question.

--- End quote ---

Hey CWuestefeld, thanks for framing a context for me.  After some careful consideration of what I am actually trying to do, your comments and the above input I have to recognize that what I want to do and what I can do are too far apart at this time.  I might try it for NANY 2011, but with only two-weeks until my deadline, I would not be able to produce an alpha, much less a finished product.  I am going to put that project in the vault for the present.  I will see about reviving this thread (if necessary) in Q2/Q3 of next year. 

Everyone, I appreciate all the help!  You have kept me from beating my head against the wall unnecessarily.   

Ehtyar:
MFC is dying a slow, agonizing death. If you're interested in using C++ w/ GUIs, consider trying wxWidgets or Qt. Both have excellent GUI designers and are cross-platform (which may or may not be a benefit).

C#/VB.NET have similar benefits though VS and Mono, though VB.NET bares little similarity to VB 6, and is often abandoned by more seasoned developers for the more logical (and some argue more powerful) syntax of C#.

Ehtyar.

PPLandry:
Ok, does that sound doable in your language?  
-CodeTRUCKER (December 11, 2009, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Way back in 1995, I was given a mandate by the National Reseach Council of Canada to do just that. It was called ScreenSurvey. Using VB (version 3 IIRC), there as a module to design forms with GUI elements (buttons, checkboxes, etc). Another module would run the admin-designed forms on a pre-defined schedule. Data entered by end-users (in those admin-designed forms) was stored on a network for later analysis.

It is still available on their web-site:
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/projects/irc/task-performance.html#5

I still have the source code (but I don't own it)

IIRC correctly, VB supports control arrays (something that was dropped in VB.net). So simply create 1 instance of every VB GUI element, give it an index (it then becomes an array), set Visible=false and you're all set to create new controls using code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version