ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Can Buttons be Dynamically Moved, Resized, etc. in Your Language?

<< < (3/4) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Java is nice and all, but oh god the development environments I've tried (Eclipse and NetBeans) have their quirks - especially when it comes to GUI designers, which are quirky beyond reason... an the debuggers absolutely suck compared to what Visual Studio has. The refactoring support is nice, though, and possible because Java is so much simpler to parse than C++.  

Since you've done VB, well, I'd say go for that - it's pretty darn fast to do GUIs in.
-f0dder (December 15, 2009, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the comments.  As it turns out, I was cleaning out a room and re-discovered a never-opened Visual Studio 2005 (Standard Ed.) prize I won for attending some MS webinars some time back, but I have been considering the trade-off of the quickness of production in a visual IDE versus the intimacy the coder gains with the textual-type syntax/logic  

Sounds like a somewhat weird thing you want to design, btw :)

--- End quote ---
Hmmmm...  that sounds like something that was probably said to Galilei, Leonardo, Thomas and Orville.   ;)
[/quote]

Stoic Joker:
I was cleaning out a room and re-discovered a never-opened Visual Studio 2005 (Standard Ed.)
-CodeTRUCKER (December 15, 2009, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now I'm not per-se superstitious ... but that sounds an awful lot like a sign to me... ;)

...I use MSVS2005 on an almost daily basis, it's a fine IDE me thinks!

f0dder:
but I have been considering the trade-off of the quickness of production in a visual IDE versus the intimacy the coder gains with the textual-type syntax/logic-CodeTRUCKER (December 15, 2009, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Save the "real programming" for where it matters, not using visual designers for your GUI code is a waste of time... trust me. (I still do some of my GUI coding in raw Win32 API, so I know what I'm talking about :P)

Sounds like a somewhat weird thing you want to design, btw :)
-f0dder (December 15, 2009, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmmmm...  that sounds like something that was probably said to Mr. Galilei, Leonardo, Thomas and Orville.   ;)
-CodeTRUCKER (December 15, 2009, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
:-\ :-\ :-\

CWuestefeld:
This isn't actually a language question. It's a platform question. For example, the difficulty of doing this in C++ is wildly different depending on whether you're using Win32 API or MFC; when using Java, it differs much if you use Swing vs. SWT. And conversely, if you use .Net WinForms, the experience is the same whether you're using C# or VB.

The resizing of the button is probably trivial in any modern GUI platform. Your requirement to shift around other buttons is a somewhat larger challenge. If these aspects are your primary driver, then I'd focus on a GUI platform that offers some sort of layout manager. I know that such beasts exist for Java, and I've used them extensively under .Net's native WinForms classes. With .Net you get the language choice of C# or VB (and a few others).

Using the .Net WinForms layout managers, you can select from different layout strategies. There are a couple that might make good sense for you. One is the table layout, where you place objects just as you would in an HTML table, by assigning them to rows and columns. There's also a layout (unfortunately I forget the name) that flows your layout similar to the way HTML object (say, paragraphs with images in and around them) get shifted around, as when you resize your browser window.

CodeTRUCKER:
Save the "real programming" for where it matters, not using visual designers for your GUI code is a waste of time... trust me. (I still do some of my GUI coding in raw Win32 API, so I know what I'm talking about :P)

--- End quote ---
I agree there is nothing to be gained by reinventing the wheel.

:-\ :-\ :-\

--- End quote ---
Me too, but I won't know until I try.  :)

[Edit - Formatting.]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version