ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

150 Widescreen HD Wallpaper images

<< < (3/3)

zridling:
You aren't the first self-appointed moderator here at DC; I'm sure you won't be the last.

This topic was apples; your response was oranges. You chose to make this simple topic post a platform for your "feelings" about something it was not: copyright, licensing, and fair use. It would have been defensible had you taken up a new topic for that, because it's deeply interesting and important to all of us living in this century. But posting a link to wallpapers is not equal to theft -- nor do I favor stealing -- of anyone's work. So don't put words in my mouth, and then argue against your own straw men. As you stated, you draw the line with me here, but not with every other blogger on the planet, with Microsoft, Google, Bing, Yahoo, and lots of others who thumbnail link to unlicensed images.

I urge you not to be angry, but to choose your battles more wisely. This wasn't worth it unless you are willing to argue consistently that every uncredited image on this domain be taken down. And if you're creating art you don't want anyone to see just to get paid, maybe you shouldn't be an artist but a businesswoman (who sells art). As far as I know, Google is the only company that's figured out how to make money off the internet! I certainly haven't.

Shades:
Is it not possible to put all the info regarding your work (your name, the title of the work, URL, mail address, distribution license etc.) into EXIF? Pictures/photo's retain that info when copied as far as I understand, giving you an opportunity to supply anybody with the info they require to get back in touch with you about your work.

Ah well, it's maybe a stupid idea privacy-wise...but the principal sounds ok to me.

My collection of wallpapers has grown steadily since my first PC (1995) and I wouldn't mind seeing what some artists from those days have produced since their demo days. Problem is that they were not too generous with info, most of it was similar to 'Copyrighted by <insert nickname>' or a nickname in a corner. Finding out who did what is too much time robbery if you ask me.

Anyway, nowadays things have improved with sites like Interfacelift, though. All info and their other work is available right there. When downloading a picture/photo from their site it has a formatted and descriptive file name as well. Because of that site I couldn't be bothered to surf for wallpapers on (obscure) blogs anymore and I advice other people that see my wallpapers to go there instead of letting them making a copy.

app103:
Zaine, I would like to introduce you to one of the 150 artists that were violated in this wallpaper pack...

Meet "broalex", a photographer that is trying to earn a living from his work.

The zebra image included in this wallpaper pack was never intended to be redistributed, free of charge.

By including it in this pack, not only is he being deprived of proper credit for a fantastic photo, he is also being deprived of an income.

By posting a link to this pack on this forum, you are hurting him and helping to reduce the market value of his photograph.

Sometimes it's easy to not think about how things affect other people, when you have no idea who they are. But once there is a face attached to it, often it becomes easier to understand the truth. Go look at his face and think about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version