topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: Twigatelle  (Read 183537 times)

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Release: Twigatelle
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I see that the aiming is fixed, and the 0.4 is showing.  Oh, and the assassin balls are also an iron ball.   ;D

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Hum hum, I forgot to say, done with the SAT on Saturday!  Aced the math, everything else...ehh, 50% right at best.  Anyways, in my free time, I modified the buttons a bit!  I made the edges rounded!  Ha ha...Which one is better?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2010, 12:01 AM »
Hum hum, I forgot to say, done with the SAT on Saturday!  Aced the math, everything else...ehh, 50% right at best.  Anyways, in my free time, I modified the buttons a bit!  I made the edges rounded!  Ha ha...Which one is better?

The top one! I like the subtle pattern too. Grabbing, and and some point very soon it will appear in a skin.

And: Congrats on the SATs.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Can you try again please Deozaan? You should see a "0.4" version number on the main screen. If you don't, then for some annoying reason the latest version is not downloading automatically.

I just tried it again, and it did indeed show 0.4 on the main menu. It still overshoots the pegs that are far away.

And I found a bug: I got Power Bumpers just before my last ball fell into the pit, and when I clicked Retry, I started the round over with the remaining time left on my Power Bumpers.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2010, 09:53 PM »
Twigatelle 0.5 is out:

1. Deozaan's bouncy bumper bug fixed
2. Deozaan's Improved Aiming Request Implemented with Alacrity (I always work faster with DIARIA  :P)
3. Blue rectangles are now very, very blue.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2010, 01:14 AM »
Twigatelle 0.5 is out:

2. Deozaan's Improved Aiming Request Implemented with Alacrity (I always work faster with DIARIA  :P)
3. Blue rectangles are now very, very blue.

1. Nice! Though that one is a bit hard for me to try to get again to test. :)

2. Hmm... Now it seems to kind of undershoot where I'm aiming for. What I'm doing is aiming it off near one of the top corners (but still low enough that the cannon still tracks the mouse movement) and then seeing if the center of the ball goes through where the mouse pointer is located. At the worst, the ball completely misses where the pointer (I'm talking pixel precision--the tip of the pointer) is pointing.

I even tried aiming just high enough that the ball should have gone completely over the top right peg and it hit it.

EDIT: I just noticed that it seems to be more accurate than I first perceived. It does still seem a little underpowered, but probably not as bad as I first let on.

3. Awesome! Thanks. Now if you could do the same thing to the curved "pipes" or semicircle thingies.

4. New bug(?): I got a ball frenzy and one of the balls later hit a Nega-Gavity powerup, but only one ball was affected by the nega-gravity. Is that a bug or a feature?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:27 AM by Deozaan »

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2010, 04:18 AM »

I can actually confirm that all powerups carry through to the next game if the timer was still running on your last shot.. it's quite disconcerting when this happens on an assasin ball because your next shot is very wayward!  I didn't report this however because I kinda liked this 'feature' :)

2. Hmm... Now it seems to kind of undershoot where I'm aiming for. What I'm doing is aiming it off near one of the top corners (but still low enough that the cannon still tracks the mouse movement) and then seeing if the center of the ball goes through where the mouse pointer is located. At the worst, the ball completely misses where the pointer (I'm talking pixel precision--the tip of the pointer) is pointing.

I even tried aiming just high enough that the ball should have gone completely over the top right peg and it hit it.

EDIT: I just noticed that it seems to be more accurate than I first perceived. It does still seem a little underpowered, but probably not as bad as I first let on.

I'm a little worried about this topic of conversation, I've always found the accuracy to my liking  ;)

4. New bug(?): I got a ball frenzy and one of the balls later hit a Nega-Gavity powerup, but only one ball was affected by the nega-gravity. Is that a bug or a feature?

I can also confirm this, only 1 ball in a ball frenzy is affected by neg-a-grav.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2010, 09:20 AM »

I can also confirm this, only 1 ball in a ball frenzy is affected by neg-a-grav.

Ok that was deliberate, but I can do someting about it if you like. There are a couple of new bonus balls I want to add anyway, so I'll do a bit of tinkering in that area.

Thank you both, for useful comments. Not sure about the aiming any more. Beginning to wonder if it's somehow a little bit PC-specific...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2010, 09:37 PM »
New Twiggly-Wiggly uploaded - 0.6

1. There's now a level 7 in place for those advanced players. Unfortunately it still says "Level 6" when it starts up, but take it from me - it's level 7.
2. Negative gravy should affect all balls in play.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:00 PM by timns »

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Thank you both, for useful comments. Not sure about the aiming any more. Beginning to wonder if it's somehow a little bit PC-specific...

I haven't noticed any change in the aiming, so I'm happy.. maybe deozaan's mouse needs calibration :)

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2010, 06:52 AM »
3. A couple of surprises will happen 1% of the time!

Holy Green bumpers batman!  Level 1, 10 green bumpers in play, got a ball trio, ball frenzy, ball trio, pong mode, tracking x 2 and who knows what else all in one shot  :Thmbsup:

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2010, 07:24 AM »
1. There's now a level 7 in place for those advanced players. Unfortunately it still says "Level 6" when it starts up, but take it from me - it's level 7.

Very twiggly-wiggly indeed!

Nice work.

Couple of bits of feedback.

1) Assassin balls, when aiming for the lower rows are often over enthusiastic and just head straight out of bands
2) which means on your next shot the ball will be an assassin, but not an iron ball
3) the ball remains an iron ball if the ball is still in play after assassin time is over
4) i like the orderly way that assassins select their targets (left to right, row by row), but could you possible make them sometimes head for their closest neighbours, possibly mitigating the effect described in 1.

Highest score tonight was 2.2mill, i'll get you next time JavaJones, next time...

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2010, 06:42 PM »

Mmm, gravy... :drinksmiley:

Now, I'm just wondering, are you going to release the source?  I'm no java expert, so I don't care anyways, but just want to know.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:37 PM by Cyeb »

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51 AM »
Bring back the old assassin, this new one just circles and circles and circles and circles until time runs out...   :'(

Some more ideas to take away from your free time.

I think the extra wide paddle bonus is the most useless bonus of all, could you consider making it wider (like 50% of the screen).
Neg-a-grav is still annoying, could you give neg-a-grav power bumpers so that when bouncing off the ceiling the ball can make it all the way to the bottom row.
I think level 8 should have red bumpers that actively run away from the ball  :D

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Bring back the old assassin, this new one just circles and circles and circles and circles until time runs out...   :'(

Funnily enough its behaviour has not changed - just the fact it's 'iron' - but I can try and do something about it getting stuck in a holding pattern.

Some more ideas to take away from your free time.

I think the extra wide paddle bonus is the most useless bonus of all, could you consider making it wider (like 50% of the screen).
Neg-a-grav is still annoying, could you give neg-a-grav power bumpers so that when bouncing off the ceiling the ball can make it all the way to the bottom row.
I think level 8 should have red bumpers that actively run away from the ball  :D

Got it! I'll give this some serious consideration. I do appreciate everyone's feedback: I think it's really helped the game improve  :)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30 PM »

Mmm, gravy... :drinksmiley:

Now, I'm just wondering, are you going to release the source?  I'm no java expert, so I don't care anyways, but just want to know.

Whoops! I must've been typing this while hungry.

Source code is available to anyone who expresses an interest.

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Okay, just asking.

If you get ball duo, trio, or frenzy and the catcher gets some, at the very top it only displays up to six.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:21 PM by Cyeb »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Yes that's deliberate... I suppose I could have them build up.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2010, 05:08 PM »
I gotta say, neg-a-grav is a real "downer" (no pun intended! hehe) most of the time. Pretty boring compared to most of the other powerups, and mostly just makes the ball bounce off the ceiling a bunch, hitting very few bumpers. That combined with its seemingly shorter time (or is it random?), makes it my least favorite powerup next to the long paddle. I agree if the long paddle was even longer it'd be better. :D

- Oshyan

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I'll fiddle with some settings - maybe I'll couple neg-a-grav with some other new feature!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Sounds good! Can't wait to see what you come up with. And thanks for sticking with this! :)

- Oshyan

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2010, 06:45 AM »
1. I _think_ that the assassin frenzy bug is fixed. My test case is now ok anyway.

Frenzied-Assassin's Bug happened again, sorry to report.  Only the original ball was an iron ball.  Also I've noticed that the ball remains an iron ball after the assassin timer expires (did I already mention that).

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2010, 09:19 AM »
0.6? Ball does indeed remain iron... I'm on it!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2010, 09:41 PM »
Sounds good! Can't wait to see what you come up with. And thanks for sticking with this! :)

- Oshyan

I would not be much of a 'Donation Coder' if I did not support my donors! You all know who you are and I thank you very much.

Now, to business: Twigatelle 0.7

1. Improved colours on the curved blue bumpers
2. Improved assassin ball - less likely to go into a loop - but I'm still twiddling it!
3. The big bonus paddle is really, really big. Yet I still miss the stupid thing all the time  :mad:
4. New "special feature" triggered off the green bumpers - I'll leave you to discover it - to replace negative gravy
5. New Level 8 in place

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2010, 03:14 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but one time I managed to clear away all the pegs from a level upon completing it. I was disappointed that there was no super mega bonus for this amazing (and lucky) accomplishment.