topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: Twigatelle  (Read 183549 times)

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Pre-Release: Twigatelle
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2010, 07:52 AM »
I can modify my existing button, but I can't make bumpers.  Do you like any other color?  Obviously, I wouldn't make a new button for every color, but here's just how other colors look like.

*Edit*  I'm too busy right now, but I really can.  I might make bumpers after next week when I'm not studying my butt off for the SAT, or my writing assignment (which is, so far, 10 pages long).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:56 AM by Cyeb »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2010, 03:39 PM »
I can modify my existing button, but I can't make bumpers.  Do you like any other color?  Obviously, I wouldn't make a new button for every color, but here's just how other colors look like.

*Edit*  I'm too busy right now, but I really can.  I might make bumpers after next week when I'm not studying my butt off for the SAT, or my writing assignment (which is, so far, 10 pages long).

Sweeet buttons. I shall definitely use these.

Good luck with the SATs, and thanks for making some time to comment and join in with the game  :Thmbsup:

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2010, 05:01 PM »
 ;D  No problem.  I've always wanted to help out on a game!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2010, 05:49 PM »
So I finally made it to level 3 and a respectable score of 889,000, and I feel better about myself. But having got this far, I really feel like the game could be made easier, or at least have options to be so, as I was missing out on a good portion of the interest and fun for lack of ability to advance. Adding things like control of the paddle at bottom and additional peg hit effects/modes would also extend enjoyment a lot.

Anyway, I hope this is encouraging and doesn't seem like bellyaching. I really like this type of game and hope this continues to develop. :)

- Oshyan

No bellyaching detected, just useful comments from you and several other folks which I do appreciate, and shall try to take on-board!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Cool, it's great to be able to have input on a game one enjoys. Off to try to get to level 5... :D

- Oshyan

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Cool, it's great to be able to have input on a game one enjoys. Off to try to get to level 5... :D

- Oshyan

I can't get past level 4!  Soo hardddd...  I think the ones containing the blocks should be first, as they are larger targets, and very easy to beat.  Here's my highest score.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Ok the new build is in place gang - I hope you enjoy. I've seen the assassin ball bug for myself now, and know what to do, so I'll fix that next.

Main thing with this release is a couple of new levels - good luck with them. I also have some new bonuses in the offing, and a prettier way to have them show up. Watch out!

By the way, has anyone seen any particularly good / bad backgrounds? They're all totally random and every now and then I get a pretty nice one.

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19 AM »
kwacky1_20100119.pngNANY 2010 Release: Twigatelle

;D  I do like this new version!    :Thmbsup:

Is it my imagination or is the ball a little bit 'bouncier'.

Good work on level 4, it was chaos with a ball trio, can't wait to see a ball frenzy on that level.  I haven't been able to get past level 5 yet, this game was the closest i got, 1 red peg left.

Thanks for all your great work timns.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Corking good score too! Thank you Kwacky1. The ball had been twiddled a tiny, tiny amount. Good eye!

One of the things I'll be doing soon is to add a level selector. Once you've gotten to a certain level, you should probably be allowed to jump straight there.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2010, 03:16 PM »
I dug the new level 4 as well. The "wheel" bumpers are fun since you get more ball interaction with them, and there's less room for the ball to fall between at first.

I think once you reach level 5 it just keeps repeating that level, no?

Can't wait for more levels, effects, modes, etc. I have lots of ideas for this, but don't know if you have time/interest to implement. For example a powerup that actually bumps/moves the bumpers when the ball hits it (they would just move once, not become additional balls and bounce around), or a powerup like Peggle has where it shows you the projected n bounces from your current firing direction (really helps in tricky shots).

Also it would be nice to have more options to customize the game experience. I don't know if the position of bumpers is fixed and has to be created in a level editor, but I'd love to be able to just turn up a dial and get more green, more red, more blue, etc. bumpers to customize game difficulty, or at least have a difficulty slider that adjusted these ratios for you (e.g. turning difficulty down would give you less red, more green, and maybe more balls).

I can also imagine a fun game mode with harder difficulties where you could store up powerups and choose to activate them at a particular time using hotkeys. Maybe this is overkill or going beyond the scope of the game. But I really think this is a great opportunity to take the Peggle-like gameplay and extend it to some innovative concepts.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this one. It's addictive and fun. :)

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2010, 03:29 PM »
How does one get past level 1? I know it can't be that i have to clear every bumper, because i just refuse to believe anyone here is able to accomplish that.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41 PM »
I dug the new level 4 as well. The "wheel" bumpers are fun since you get more ball interaction with them, and there's less room for the ball to fall between at first.

Can't wait for more levels, effects, modes, etc. I have lots of ideas for this, but don't know if you have time/interest to implement. For example a powerup that actually bumps/moves the bumpers when the ball hits it (they would just move once, not become additional balls and bounce around), or a powerup like Peggle has where it shows you the projected n bounces from your current firing direction (really helps in tricky shots).

Also it would be nice to have more options to customize the game experience. I don't know if the position of bumpers is fixed and has to be created in a level editor, but I'd love to be able to just turn up a dial and get more green, more red, more blue, etc. bumpers to customize game difficulty, or at least have a difficulty slider that adjusted these ratios for you (e.g. turning difficulty down would give you less red, more green, and maybe more balls).

I can also imagine a fun game mode with harder difficulties where you could store up powerups and choose to activate them at a particular time using hotkeys. Maybe this is overkill or going beyond the scope of the game. But I really think this is a great opportunity to take the Peggle-like gameplay and extend it to some innovative concepts.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this one. It's addictive and fun. :)

- Oshyan

That is a useful and thought-provoking post. I will most definitely implement your idea of scalable difficulty for a start.

As for mobile bumpers - let's say they're moving towards the next release  8)

ps There is a level 6 now - IF you can beat 5  :(

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41 PM »
How does one get past level 1? I know it can't be that i have to clear every bumper, because i just refuse to believe anyone here is able to accomplish that.

Only certain bumpers have to be cleaRED from the table  ;)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out certain bumpers are what gets you past the level. Duh me! :D

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2010, 04:16 PM »
oh that's awesome.. i really need to re-do my screencast.. this has suddenly become much more a game of some skill.  :up: :up:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Hah, yeah, I totally thought it was way too luck-oriented at first as well, especially since you can't control the paddle at bottom. Now I get it, and I can advance through it reasonably well.

- Oshyan

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2010, 04:44 PM »
oh that's awesome.. i really need to re-do my screencast.. this has suddenly become much more a game of some skill.  :up: :up:

I really should give out more information - I remember the same thing happened with the old Deductoid game  :-[

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Release: Twigatelle
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2010, 06:21 AM »
ps There is a level 6 now - IF you can beat 5  :(

Well I did beat level 5, and got myself a new high score  :Thmbsup:

However there was no level 6?  :'(

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Also..

1) the high scores table is wrong [attachurl=#2][/attachurl]
2) can the username and high scores be saved?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2010, 09:53 AM »
ps There is a level 6 now - IF you can beat 5  :(

Well I did beat level 5, and got myself a new high score  :Thmbsup:

However there was no level 6?  :'(
 (see attachment in previous post)
Also..

1) the high scores table is wrong  (see attachment in previous post)2) can the username and high scores be saved?

Nice one. There IS a six, but I may have not enabled it yet  :-[

Names and scores should be saved, works here, but we all know that don't mean much. I'll try and make sure the stuff gets written somewhere friendlier.

And finally: oh @#$@#$! Other folks had noticed the highscore table was wrong, and I had forgotten about it.

I'll get to work.

Cyeb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2010, 04:52 PM »
There are just a few minor bugs...And they are that when you're aiming with the dotted white line, towards the sides, it becomes inaccurate.  Also, the bumpers still do not start off-screen..

Edit:  I've also found that the assassin balls only target red ones.  It hit the last red one, and would not move away to the blue ones.  Plus, I have a suggestion, and the powerup that reverses the gravity should have the top "roof" a bit more bouncier, as it only hits the top row after a while.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:28 PM by Cyeb »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2010, 09:37 PM »
There are just a few minor bugs...And they are that when you're aiming with the dotted white line, towards the sides, it becomes inaccurate.  Also, the bumpers still do not start off-screen..

Edit:  I've also found that the assassin balls only target red ones.  It hit the last red one, and would not move away to the blue ones.  Plus, I have a suggestion, and the powerup that reverses the gravity should have the top "roof" a bit more bouncier, as it only hits the top row after a while.

Useful comments indeed - thank you. I have started a todo list in my Pagico for all this stuff!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Ok folks, new release in place:

1. Highscores are fixed! What you score is what is recorded

2. Level 6 is now reachable  :-\

3. Can someone who was unable to save their name and hi-scores let me know if this is also ok by now?

Thanks all.  :Thmbsup:

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Cool, can't wait to test!  Am away from home so won't get a chance tonight  :(

Hey I don't know if this is the default behaviour of a java web app, but I find that when you release an update I have to load twigatelle twice, and the update downloads on the second run.

That is, run twiggles.jnlp -> game loads as per normal, exit, run twiggles.jnlp -> update downloads, new version runs

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Strange! I wonder if it gets cached somehow. There's no explicit version numbering in the jnlp - but I'll take a look and see if I can set something up to force a fresh download.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I reached level 6 and broke the 2 million barrier last night. Good stuff. :)

- Oshyan