topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free 1 year license of Returnil Virtual System 2010 Home Lux  (Read 4656 times)

Ashraf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free 1 year license of Returnil Virtual System 2010 Home Lux
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Hello Fellow DC'ers,

This weekend dotTech is running a promotion where everyone can get a 1 year license of Returnil Virtual System 2010 Home Lux for free (promotion ends 12 AM PST Monday December 14, 2009 so hurry if you want in). For those that don't know what Returnil Virtual System 2010 Home Lux is, let me explain really quickly.

Returnil Virtual System 2010 is a unique security software that protects your computer in an unorthodox manner. RVS 2010 uses a powerful combination of anti-virus, anti-malware, and a virtual system to protect your computer from all types of viruses and unwanted system changes. The traditional security software like Avira, Kaspersky, Norton, AVG, NOD32, etc. actively, and on demand, detect and remove infected files. RVS 2010, on the other hand, has a two pronged attack to the malware problem:

• Virtual System - RVS creates a "virtual copy" of your main system partition (the partition which you have Windows installed) and whatever changes are made to your computer are dumped when you restart your computer (there are opinions to tweak how it does that, but generally speaking, that is how it works).
  • Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware - RVS also includes the traditional anti-virus/anti-malware live protection and on-demand scanning features.

Because of this two pronged approach which incorporates traditional and innovative protection capabilities, if used properly, a user can keep his/her computer 100% clean with RVS 2010.

Now I do apologize, but since this is a dotTech Exclusive promotion, I can't post directly here on how to get the freebie like I have with my last three threads; you will need to visit dotTech to take advantage of this offer. So at this point there are two links of interest for everyone:

Take care,
Ashraf
dotTech.org

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free 1 year license of Returnil Virtual System 2010 Home Lux
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Just wanted to add that if you follow the process on the promotion page link above, you will get a license key in your email.  No need to install right away such as in GOTD downloads.

I'm not using Returnil yet but I've been looking at it.  I signed up just in case I want to install.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Thanks Ashraf for the notice and review, and also thanks MilesAhead for the helpful tip. I'm gonna go ahead and try to get a license key. I've been very curious about the new Returnil Virtual System 2010 for a while, but so far I've followed MilesAhead's advice and erred on the side of caution.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:05 PM »
The promo on the original site listed seems to have expired but this GHacks article has a link that is still producing license keys.  I just went through the ritual 20 minutes ago and it sent me a license(used a hotmail email address, no problem.)

If you still want to get it go through this link:

http://www.ghacks.ne...ystem-2010-home-lux/

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:55 PM »
It's bad manners to look a gift horse in the mouth, but when it comes to software I'm probably the resident Bad Manners Person round here, so let me just say Returnil has one of the least attractive licensing schemes ever.

The phrase "1 year free license" means exactly that: after 1 year the program will revert to limited functionality, same as the free "Home" version. This is not specific to this giveaway though - it's how their licensing works in general. You don't pay annually to get upgrades: you pay to continue using the program with the original set of features you paid for when you first registered it. From their FAQ page:

What happens after the subscription expires (one year normally)?
"Returnil Virtual System 2010 will simply revert to the unregistered version of Home Free called Free. The System Safe and Virtual Disk features will continue to work but the Virus Guard, File manager, and Real System Access features will be inactive. "

and

Why are lifetime licenses not available?
We do not offer lifetime licensing as it is self defeating and leads inevitably to poor customer service and slower product development. The reason for this is that as the pool of available customers shrinks with time and competition, companies who allow lifetime licensing are eventually forced to focus myopically on revenue generation at the expense of customer service. As we are in this for the long haul, subscriptions and renewals allow us to focus on product development and support having sufficient resources to service all customers quickly and efficiently.

So right now everyone can get the full version free for one year, which is certainly a great "try before you buy" deal, but if you learn to rely on it, it's going to take an annual fee for as long as you continue using Returnil.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 04:44 PM »
I didn't realize that part.  To me, I wouldn't want to use the full version anyway.  I don't want to run an AV shield inside a virtual system.  That's like taking a shower with a raincoat on.  I mean, at some point some code has to run on some hardware.

To be honest, if Sandboxie worked on 64 bit I wouldn't even look at Returnil.  If you have to depend on the boot sequence then you are vulnerable.  That's probably why they are sticking av programs inside the envelope.  The malware that got me deleted partition C:.  Returnil woudn't have done me any good in that case.  I dunno', if I didn't already have image backups on external drives then I might try it.  But as it is now I'm not falling over myself to put it on the 64 bit machine.