ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Motherboard Advice Needed

<< < (3/4) > >>

steeladept:
I don't know if it is an option or if you are adventurous enough to try, but have you looked for or considered a 3-party bios?  I frequently find where arbitrary restrictions are in place, that someone has figured out a way around them.  I never looked for a motherboard, but I know 3-party firmware is common among video cards and some sound cards.

gexecuter:
I want to change it since there are not enough options in the Dell BIOS.  It seems they have disabled or dumbed down just about everything.
-y0himba (December 11, 2009, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe there are hidden? i have heard certain bios have an advanced menu that you can reach if you press certain keys while in the bios. No idea if that's your case i am just throwing it out there.

4wd:
I know this may seem a rather dumb question but....

What motherboard form factor is required?

The Dell Inspiron 530 looks like it could be a mATX board and we don't know whether you transplanted it into a mATX case or a full ATX case.

Addendum: This picture I found for the Dell Inspiron 530 motherboard shows it to be mATX.

f0dder:
I want to change it since there are not enough options in the Dell BIOS.  It seems they have disabled or dumbed down just about everything.
-y0himba (December 11, 2009, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Is this a case of not liking a dumbed-down BIOS, or actually needing additional options? :)

y0himba:
Maybe there are hidden? i have heard certain bios have an advanced menu that you can reach if you press certain keys while in the bios. No idea if that's your case i am just throwing it out there.
-gexecuter (December 11, 2009, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Usually the key to expose advanced functions is a combination of Shift+F1, but I have tried every combination I found and researched the Dell bios options, can't find anything.
Is this a case of not liking a dumbed-down BIOS, or actually needing additional options? :)
-f0dder (December 12, 2009, 01:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
A bit of both actually.  I don't like it because I want more options. ;)
I don't know if it is an option or if you are adventurous enough to try, but have you looked for or considered a 3-party bios?  I frequently find where arbitrary restrictions are in place, that someone has figured out a way around them.  I never looked for a motherboard, but I know 3-party firmware is common among video cards and some sound cards.
-steeladept (December 11, 2009, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

From what I have seen this is hit and miss.  I am not exactly rich, so it makes better sense to buy an entire motherboard and transfer my hardware over, to me at least.  I really like my hardware, it is everything I need and rock solid, so I just want to move over.  (Originally my reply was going to be "EEEEK")I have a USB port PCI card, and PCI slot fan, so I don't need a lot of PCI slots, 2 or 3 is sufficient.  Other than that nothing out of the ordinary except an AverMedia USB DVD EZ Maker Gold and an internal card reader.  I have one side fan, one HUGE rear fan, a HUGE turbo fan in the front(sounds like a jet), and a blowhole fan in the top.  I added that one by using a Dremel to to cut the opening and fitting it there.  I was actually able to lower the case temp by 9-13 degrees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version