ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Motherboard Advice Needed

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
One thing i've noticed about motherboard is that some tend to focus on features for overclockers; personally i dont do any overclocking it just makes my brain ache looking at all of the options for speeding up memory access etc, and worrying about stability.  so when i look for a motherboard i focus mainly on features and stability.  that's one thing that can help you narrow down your search.

mouser:
I'll also mention that i've had some bad experiences with motherboard bios getting damaged or failing during a flash upgrade, so the motherboards with dual bios chips or other protections against such things are very appealing to me.

y0himba:
MMM dual bios chips.  That is a GREAT idea.  I like to keep my BIOS updated and luckily have only bricked one motherboard since 1992.  gexecuter's board looks pretty good, I am worried that my HUGE video card will fit in the slot there with that heat sink so close.  Is there any more information I can give you folks to make sure the board is compatible with my hardware?  Did I mention Windows 7?

JavaJones:
Usually I find that the boards with overclocking features, while often more expensive, are also potentially more stable as they're designed with wider tolerances. So even if you don't plan to overclock, they can be good to have. Certainly I wouldn't use that criteria as a deterrant for any particular board.

Anyway, what's the problem with your current board that you're trying to solve? Usually motherboard upgrade scenarios are one of 3 things - a broken board, wanting to upgrade hardware, or needing some more slots/plugs/whatever. It seems like the latter is your reasoning here, but it would be good to know the specific ports/plugs/or whatever features you want that you're currently lacking, since it does not seem like you're actually trying to upgrade your CPU and other hardware (which is the more usual reason in my experience).

- Oshyan

y0himba:
I want to change it since there are not enough options in the Dell BIOS.  It seems they have disabled or dumbed down just about everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version