topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster  (Read 177640 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Pre-Release: Page Countster
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48 PM »
SMTP  ;)

Show Me The Printers

:Thmbsup:

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 09:55 PM »
CAMP - Count All My Prints
LAPT - Local Area Print Totals (this could be a tip of the hat to your boss, LAP Tech...)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 12:32 PM »
[Time & Tumbleweeds Pass]

So... any input? ...I looking into adding the toner levels, but was hoping for some other ideas before having-a-go at it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:35 PM by Stoic Joker »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 08:27 PM »
When I run it, it reports
SOCKET Failure
Send Socket Failed! ERROR: 10013

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 09:38 PM »
When I run it, it reports
SOCKET Failure
Send Socket Failed! ERROR: 10013
That's the RAW Socket requires Administrative rights part I mentioned earlier. for 2k/XP you need an administrator account, and Vista/7 (UAC) you need to run as administrator. ...Personally I blame Steve Gibson for this nonsense. ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24 PM »
Okay, I've not a clue how to update the screenshots ... but I add 4 more columns and added the Remaining toner levels (CMYK) to them.

Note: There are 2 color printers at the office that somebody left on ... hence, that is the sum total of a test group I could scrounge up at this time of night. :) ...But it does seem to be working.

So... Current latest build (updated link top of page one) now is v1.0.0.122

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 11:28 PM »
the way you update screenshots is:
modify post
down below where you can attach files you will see checklist for previously attached files
just unattach the previous ones and upload attach new ones

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 12:10 AM »
down below where you can attach files you will see checklist for previously attached files
just unattach the previous ones and upload attach new ones

If you attach your graphics in a different order you will also need to change the attach reference in your post to match the appropriate graphic in the list of attachments.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 05:43 AM »
If you attach your graphics in a different order you will also need to change the attach reference in your post to match the appropriate graphic in the list of attachments.
That being the part I was pretty sure I'd screwup if I tried updating anything last night.

So, would I be correct in assuming that your (Error: 10013) Send Socket Failures were resolved with the launch permissions adjustment. This is the first time Countster has been out of the "yard"...so I'm a tad worried about the little bugger.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 09:26 PM »
So SJ, have you decided on a different name yet?  or are you just going to keep us in suspense?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46 PM »
So SJ, have you decided on a different name yet?  or are you just going to keep us in suspense?
Well so far I liked Printer NANY best, however the boss did not. *Shrug* I suspect that it sounds good to us folks here as we understand the context ... Which based on the bosses expression did not transcend well. Hence it's still up-in-the-air at this point.

Speaking of points... :) ...The point (as I understand) is to get the software vetted & approved by ones peers, so I'm trying to concentrate on getting a few minor buggs ironed out. This project actually got back burner-ed a while back in favor of some other more pressing issues (stuff...). But I've been using it in the field quite a bit, and have noticed a few things that needed touching-up.

Actually your inquiry about toner levels got me going, I added it last night (build 122), and played with it at the office today to see how much error checking I'd missed... Which is why I've just uploaded build 135 to the server (Toner levels now reliably work). I also added (to the Edit Results Menu) the option to add & scan a single new Target (by IP or HostName) on the odd chance that someone needs to get info about a single device quickly...Which I needed to do today, which is what reminded me that I should have done that a long time ago.

AnyHow...Give it a shot & let me know what you think.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 11:59 PM »
I just downloaded what I thought was version 122 but it says its 115.  It doesn't have the extra 4 or so columns either.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 12:16 AM »
I just downloaded what I thought was version 122 but it says its 115.  It doesn't have the extra 4 or so columns either.
Now that's bizzar...however there are multiple sites hosted on that server, two of which have that file, one of which is up-to-date...so if it hiccuped. I updated the 2nd location also, so regardless of how the server answers it should be build 135 (i hope).

InfoPrinter? ;D
Ya know...I was thinking if we flipped that around we'd get Prinfo ... or even Prinfo Scan? Hm...

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 12:18 AM »
actually I downloaded it using the link in your first post here on dc. 

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 12:20 AM »

Ya know...I was thinking if we flipped that around we'd get Prinfo ... or even Prinfo Scan? Hm...

Google turns up too many results for Prinfo and Prinfo Scan but no results for PrinfoScan, meaning PrinfoScan is a better choice.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 12:21 AM »
even though your first post shows 1.0.0.135, the title bar on the menu  shows 1.0.0.115.  the    about window also shows 115

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 12:21 AM »
it is 265 kb file, is this correct?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 12:39 AM »
I am attaching screenshots

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 11:26 AM »
ok, I just tried it again and now have the newer 135 build.  not sure what happened earlier.  Yeah, maybe that was it... too early! :eusa_naughty: :redface:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 12:15 PM »

Google turns up too many results for Prinfo and Prinfo Scan but no results for PrinfoScan, meaning PrinfoScan is a better choice.
Hm... Well, I know I'm splitting hairs here but if I do a search on "Prinfo Scan" (with the quotes) Google shows no results, which implies (or at least seems to imply) that that particular combo hasn't been used yet. Do you thing that is a fairly safe assumption?

ok, I just tried it again and now have the newer 135 build.  not sure what happened earlier.  Yeah, maybe that was it... too early! :eusa_naughty: :redface:
I'm not sure on that one either, and considering I admin the server, a bit disconcerting too. *Shrug* More for the to-do list... *Sigh* :)

...Any how, glad you got the new build 135, 122 was reporting a toner lever of 150% for a HP LaserJet 5Si that doesn't even have that feature available (given it's about 12 years old...)  :o ...But that's what error checking is for... b135 handles the legacy stuff much better (properly...).

One other (sort of handy) oddity I did notice, is that apparently the Cyan toner level OIDs are reused on Mono printers. The percentage reported reflects the Maintenance kit (fuser), life expectancy remaining. Given that the seemingly erroneously returned information has value, I decided to let that bugg live.

Let me know if it works to your liking & if there is anything else I should try adding. I've been thinking of adding the option to change the printers display text. Granted the change will revert back to the machines default ("Ready...") text when the printer is restarted...but it could be useful...or at least fun to play with.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Hey this is awesome Joker!   :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :eusa_dance: :greenclp:  It will even find the toner level and page count on a networkable copy machine!

Finding the page count on some of the lasers that have an external print server hooked up to them can be a challenge but this piece of software will get it.

I cannot think of anything that needs to be added.  All the info that one could ever hope to find in one spot!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Uh-oh ...I've been adding stuff... Hope it's ok :) ...Current build is v1.0.0.155

Can now send test page to any network printer without needing its driver installed.
Can (temporarily) alter the Ready State message on the printers display.
Email Printer Info Report is now (configurable) "fixed" so that you can enter any Email address, mail server, & subject line. Previously the defaults were hard-coded & sent all scan reports to my work Email ... nobody sent me any ... Now the default is to popup the configure options dialog.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Ok, Ok, Ok... I guess we can live with a few more features.

I saw the email report and then when I tried it and said something about emailing to LAP Technologies so I canceled it.

I look forward to trying the "new" version tomorrow.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Previously the defaults were hard-coded & sent all scan reports to my work Email

ah ha!!!
now we caught you, trying to secretly amass information about all the world's printer toner supply..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Did anyone notice that Page Countster already got it's own writeup at ghacks:
http://www.ghacks.ne...ware-page-countster/