topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster  (Read 177636 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Pre-Release: Page Countster
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 04:34 PM »
I agree, DHCP reservations is the way!  Unfortunately, this school hasn't had a tech person so they are way behind the 8 ball.  They probably have just plugged the cords in and turned them on and way they went.  Works ok until they decide to switch addresses.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009, 09:27 AM »

I'm still researching the if/how to get the IP addressing method & info to see if it can be implemented (and reconfigured) reliably.

Have you had a chance to see if this is going to work or not?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2009, 11:25 AM »

I'm still researching the if/how to get the IP addressing method & info to see if it can be implemented (and reconfigured) reliably.

Have you had a chance to see if this is going to work or not?
At this point I'm being torn back and forth between PC and the office...I'm supposed to be on vacation...but it's not working out that way. *Sigh*

I have found one (QnD) method for getting the Dynamic/Static question answered, but am looking for a bit cleaner way before I commit to anything.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Page Countster gets a mention here. :up:

http://www.portablef...18&ts=1261811602

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Okay... (I'll start with the bad news) ...I was unable to refine a reliable method of acquiring the IP configuration method. This is due to one of (if not the) primary objectives of Page Countster being Speed. In that interest any data queried for had to be in a fixed Industry Standard position to eliminate the need for extensive validation/confirmation/triple checking loops to make absolutely sure that we actually did get back what we thought we asked for before going on to the next target. It is still listed as an active (plausible) feature request and may yet be implemented after I have time to do the extensive testing necessary to confirm the type of values returned by the various manufactures devices/models, etc. [/end of bad news]

What I have done is tidy up some of the programs general behavior regarding:
Open report handling so the user has the option of closing the existing report or combining it with the currently displayed data.

Drag-N-Drop has also been added (and should have been a long time ago...) so that reports can be opened by dropping them into the program's window.

Fixed column sorting bugg that would cause the program to freeze if contents was sorted by the toner levels columns.

Made minor changes to scanning engine to mitigate the handle leak issue when running multiple scans on large (5,000+ node) networks. It ain't perfect (yet), but as long as the (currently being scanned) scanned address block is kept at/under 6,000 addresses, it shouldn't hang any more.

Fixed OK button on About dialog - Seems it had developed a tendency to play Peek-A-Boo now and then.

So... Currently there is no plan to integrate (via dedicated page) Page Countster into the company's website, hence any future builds (based on user feedback/schedule permitting) will be released here at DC as development continues. The current (Final for Contest) release build of Page Countster is v1.0.0.175 ... and is available via link in OP.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:55 PM by Stoic Joker »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Thanks for trying Joker.  I hadn't noticed about some of the bugs  you fixed but I don't normally use the program that way.  I usually know the range my printers are in so I only have to scan 30 or so ips.

But next week I start helping at another school district and their printers are on dhcp and occasionally the ips get switched on printers and it goes to a different printer than they want.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Is this normal?  I changed the toner in a HP 2300 Laserjet today.  I did a page config sheet before and after the change.  When I ran the Print Countster scan, it added a page in the total page count column. 

I just rescanned it a couple of times and it didn't add anymore to the count. 

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I just tried to open the Administrative window using the Ctrl + Alt + F8 and nothing happens.  I am on build 175.  I tried it on one of the earlier builds and it didn't work either, I just forgot to report it.

Is it also possible to retain the IP range that was last used?  When the program is closed and re-popened it goes back the original default settings.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Is this normal?  I changed the toner in a HP 2300 Laserjet today.  I did a page config sheet before and after the change.  When I ran the Print Countster scan, it added a page in the total page count column. 

I just rescanned it a couple of times and it didn't add anymore to the count. 
Is it normal for internal (report) prints to be counted as pages? Yes. There is actually quite a bit of overlap in the definitions when it comes to HP as they tend to use the terms "Page Count" and Engine Cycles" interchangeably (even tho they're not). This is why there tends to be a disparity between the Configuration page & the Usage Page on most of the newer machines.
Engine Cycles is the number of times the device has gone through a print cycle...(regardless of media size)...without a critical error.

(True) Page Count (Tallied on the Usage Page) gives a more realistic Page Count "Mileage" as it takes into account the size of the media used. Envelopes = .3 pages, Legal = 1.3 pages, and the baseline 8.5x11 = 1.0 pages.

On the older machines, you could actually roll the count back-wards, by printing less than 10 pages and restarting the machine. Because the device only committed the count to permanent memory of it had printed more then 10 pages in a gives session (period of uptime).

(It occurs to me in retrospect, that much of this has nothing to do with the original question...it's more "short highlights" from a caned speech I end up repeating at work. But it good info none the less so I'll leave it be)

I just tried to open the Administrative window using the Ctrl + Alt + F8 and nothing happens.  I am on build 175.  I tried it on one of the earlier builds and it didn't work either, I just forgot to report it.
Blast, I'd actually gotten so used to that one, I (sort of) forgot about it. There is a glitch in the main app frames message loop, that causes the hot keys to get ignored if the ListView control has focus. If you click on the TaskBar item to minimize the app, and then click it again to restore the app, the main window will regain focus and the hot keys will work.

Is it also possible to retain the IP range that was last used?  When the program is closed and re-popened it goes back the original default settings.
Hm... I've been torn on that one for some time. If the range is saved to the .ini file, it will have an adverse effect on portability (assuming it's takes with). But there are times where an alternative IP address range could also be advantageous. This also brings (back) up the (if/how to) query & display multiple adapters Can-O-Worms.

Give me some time to mull over how best to split that hair...and I'll get back to you.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45 AM »
No your not ranting.  I find it very informative but I don't always understand 100% of the time.

Is it possible to add to the admin window the option to save the ip range?  Your right for the non techie types, it might be better to have the default like it is now.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Looks like Page Countster made Repair Tool of the Week over at TechNibble.com

@TechiDave - Don't give up on me man...I'm thinking.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Looks like Page Countster made Repair Tool of the Week over at TechNibble.com
:up: :up: Congratulations! :up: :up:

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I haven't given up on you yet!  I just appreciate the changes you have made for me.   :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Okay, Last minute (rush job) update ... Added the option to save an alternate default network address range and SNMP Community name to the Config.ini file. Also add a Advanced Options menu item to the Printer Scanning menu to make it easier to get to (since the hot-key isn't behaving reliably). It was originally intended as an EasterEgg, but has grown to be more important so it was time to bring it into the daylight.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2009, 04:57 PM »
You rock Joker!  Thanks for a great app!  Congrats also on the exposure this program is getting!

Happy New Year!

Dave

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2009, 09:19 PM »
What program was used to make the DC screenshots or maybe screencast?  Not sure if it was Mouse or Joker, but I think Mouser since it had a Brother printer in it that matches his 2nd post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2009, 09:40 PM »
It's Camtasia.. though i note that i dont use any of the fancy features that camtasia provides, so almost any screencasting tool would do fine.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2009, 09:48 PM »
for some reason I don't have much success with screencasting software.  Doesn't seem to matter which one either.  One of these days I will get brave enough to try it again after a few years away from them.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Okay, so first day back to work after vacation...I decide to give (the new and improved) PC a shot in a live production environment. *Sigh* ...The reporting function (Open/Save) is a train wreck. And the rush job bit me as the SNMP community name is playing Peek-A-Boo at odd times - that I'm still trying to clarify.

So... I'll be working on getting that straightened out over the next few day.

...I love it when a plan comes together, just in time to slam into the wall... :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Default SNMP Community bugg & Report Generation errors fixed now.

Latest build v1.0.0.195 (available top of page one)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Ok,SJ, I have been thinking about this for a bit and just decided to ask you about it.  Is it possible the PC will report the amount of RAM installed??

By the way, I ran this program on a new-to-me network and it worked beautifully.  Showed me all the printers on the network.

thanks again!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I never really thought about trying it because printers unlike computers don't really need upgrades that often. So unless a printer is being sent multiple large jobs the default memory is usually just fine. On those rare occasions the WebAccess link (to the printers EWS) will get you the rest of the info about the printer's config. But that's after verifying that it's running out of memory ... which usually takes some futzing around.

What is it you're running into/doing that brought the memory into question?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I know I have quite a few printers that came with the default memory whatever that was.  I was just looking for a quick and easy to way to get that information. 

I can always use the web access part and find that out.

I know there are some older printers that get hit quite hard and if they had a low amount of memory, say 16 meg or something then I could upgrade it.

It was just a thought as I was being lazy.  This is probably getting beyond the original intent of the program.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12 AM »
I know there are some older printers that get hit quite hard and if they had a low amount of memory, say 16 meg or something then I could upgrade it.
To what end? They're not going to print faster (they only run at one speed). If the computer(s) sending he print jobs start to lagg because the spooler on the printer isn't/can't keeping up then there might be a memory issue. But this could also be traffic or a corrupt spooler on the comp. If the printer says it's running out of memory (error message on its display or error report), then there is a memory issue. But, explore what is causing it first. Adobe Acrobat (v6,7 & 8 ) was a classic for this if you sent a large document, or a document that needed to be scaled up (like engineering blueprints), it would exhaust the print devices memory, hang the computer's spooled or both. The "fix" was to use the print as image option and then the print job would sail through just fine. I've actually seen this happen first hand many times ...(Out of Memory error caused by Acrobat)... With a high-end Plotter that had 256MB native memory & a 40GB hard drive.

Did I mention that Printer memory can be insanely expensive (like $100+ a stick) if you get it from the manufacturer direct?

It was just a thought as I was being lazy.  This is probably getting beyond the original intent of the program.
Hay thoughts are good, The only reason I got permission from the company to release PC here (it was supposed to be a limited release... (oops)), was that I convinced them we could get better testing and feedback from a techy audience. Granted development is currently stalled due to other more pressing projects/time constraints but PC is part of a suite of Printer Management utilities. So any thing that is considered/proves to be useful very well may make it into the suite somewhere.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24 AM »
I was printing a pdf over the weekend and the length of time it took to spool it was amazing. (on adobe reader 9).  it seems like it was only a 1 meg file anyway.  I do know that a job with images on it takes longer to spool than a plain text document does.  If I am not mistaken then pdf's are an "image", which is one of the reasons they look so nice.

i know that more memory will help with printing bigger jobs.  for a moment there, I was thinking that more memory in a printer would be like more memory in a computer.   :-[