topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster  (Read 177650 times)

asjones987

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I am just now getting back to replying to my own question....

We have the following types that show Total Counts but not Color Counts
Sharp MX-5001N
Sharp MX-2610N
Toshiba e-Studio4540C
Xerox Phaser 7800DX
Xerox Phaser 7300 DX

We have a Ricoh Aficio 3245 that shows Color but not Total (also does not show Serial Number)

We do have an
HP Laser Jet 400 MFP M475DW that shows both color and black
HP Color Laser Jet CP5520 that shows both color and black.

klary

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2015, 05:02 PM »
From the lack of activity here I am guessing this app is no longer being developed?

Which is a shame, this is an amazing app and incredibly useful.

It would be even perfect if Ricoh MFDs followed the same standards other manufacturer's use so we could color page counts. 

Most of our large shared MFDs are Ricohs and the Hostname and Color Page counts aren't showing up.  The hostname displays the model# so that's better than nothing, but the color page count isn't showing up at all for the Ricoh Color MFDs on our network.

Models:

Aficio MP C3501, C3502, C4501, C5501, C5502

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2015, 05:50 PM »
From the lack of activity here I am guessing this app is no longer being developed?

Actually - due to it originally being a company project - Official development on it ended in 2008. This is the only reason it could be released for the 2010 NANY.

Which is a shame, this is an amazing app and incredibly useful.

Thank you, I spent an insane amount of time writing it.

It would be even perfect if Ricoh MFDs followed the same standards other manufacturer's use so we could color page counts.

There are many of the manufacturers - actually most at this point - that chose not to follow the original standards. But then again there are currently so many variations on how pages are counted (e.g. weighted counts for billing purposes) it's a miracle anything works these days.

Page Countster has always been one of my favorite programs, and I've always been tempted to take another run at it to see if I can make it a bit faster by spreading the scan out over multiple threads. But so far the time has not been available.

klary

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2015, 11:19 AM »
 I completely understand the product not being an ongoing project and how the lack of manufacturers willing to follow standards makes it harder (or impossible) to be a perfect reporting solution.    Our MFP vendor has been trying to push their own solution on us (for a price which we finally got them to waive since they want the stats as much as we do and they have no way of getting it themselves without manually logging onto a couple hundred machines) but  their app is so old the newest db it works with is one that went out of support over 5 years ago (SQL Server 2005) so that's not going to happen - and I don't have any reason to believe that their software will work well with other manufacturer's devices.

I've been trying to find other solutions to this apparently-not-as-simple-as-it-seems issue of how to get B&W and color counts for networked MFPs and Page Countster is the closest I've found to what we need.   

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for all the work you put into this product, having seen a lot of kludgy applications in my travels, I really appreciate the simplicity and efficiency of PageCountster.