ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple acquires music service Lala

<< < (5/6) > >>

Innuendo:
But when they do it, don't they have to give you the chance to opt-out?-wraith808 (May 19, 2010, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, because the words Stoic Joker just typed are usually followed by words that mean essentially: We reserve to change this EULA without having to notify anybody of anything anytime anywhere.

wraith808:
But when they do it, don't they have to give you the chance to opt-out?-wraith808 (May 19, 2010, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, because the words Stoic Joker just typed are usually followed by words that mean essentially: We reserve to change this EULA without having to notify anybody of anything anytime anywhere.
-Innuendo (May 22, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well then why do certain services pop up the EULA to get you to agree to additions/changes, and other don't?  iTunes does it quite a bit... it would seem that if your agreement was in perpetuity that they wouldn't have to show you; it would fall to you to read it periodically or something (which seems quite wrong).  Somehow, I get the feeling that it's not as black and white as that (though I could very well be wrong).

Edvard:
Quick, they're still doing business until May 31st.
You can still log in and buy stuff until then, so drain your wallet before Jobs and Co. get their grubby mitts on it!!

Renegade:
Hehe, some reading material for ya:
http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/
With iTunes I don't feel guilty when I download music -- Apple and the record labels handle the screw job for me.
--- End quote ---
;D

More and more I'm thinking of just getting my music from Rapidshare or Megaupload and sending the price of a new CD directly to the band.
 :-\

(Waitaminnit... I think that qualifies as a Damn Good Idea©, too bad I didn't think of it first ;) )
-Edvard (May 19, 2010, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen!

I feel the same way about DVDs. I have quite a few (non-pirated) DVDs that I can't play because of protection schemes on them that are simply broken (e.g. Macrovision) or region codes that prevent me from playing them. It's a very broken system.

When you buy pirated DVDs, they simply work. Sure, every now and then you'll get one that's broken, or you'll get the wrong movie entirely, but you still end up ahead because non-pirated DVDs are still broken more often than pirated ones. (Region codes make them 100% broken.)

Another thing is that in some places, the only ones available are pirated ones.

I'm particularly bitter about it because on every single system where I want to play my Star Wars DVDs, they're always broken (that just happens to be the set that I go to play first all the time and hence, the one that really sets me off). I'm just sick of spending money and getting screwed like that. Regularly.

The entire ability to "switch region codes" on DVD players in your computer is just a farce. If you have DVDs from more than 1 region, the how the heck is it a solution? Once you've changed it 5x, the DVD drive is trash.

Grrrrrr...  :mad:

Edvard:
It's months later and this STILL ticks me off, but now there's more fuel to the fire:

Apple's Lala purchase appears to have been "insurance"
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/02/was-apples-lala-purchase-just-insurance.ars
According to the execs speaking to FT, Apple likened its long-rumored plans to bring iTunes to the cloud as "insurance." Instead of cannibalizing its own wildly successful download service by introducing a streaming equivalent, Apple said it plans to make it possible for existing iTunes users to store their music remotely. This would enable them to access their libraries from various devices without having to sync via USB.
Incidentally, this model is exactly what streaming music service Lala began offering in 2007...
--- End quote ---

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version