topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DC Scoreboard... anyone wanna play?  (Read 5382 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DC Scoreboard... anyone wanna play?
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:33 AM »
Like many here, I often come to DC to find an "answer" to some particular need.  The problem is one has to wade through many reviews, comments, etc. to mine out the consensus on which needed entity is the best, fastest, etc. It is not that the reviews, etc. are bad; on the contrary, as a whole they are a rich treasure chest.  Unfortunately, something of a cohesive format seems to be lacking in the research experience.

How about a "scoreboard" (resource grid) that would turn DC consensus on [fill-in-the-blank] into a valuable resource.  Here are some particulars:
  • Set up a page/thread that would display lists of each candidate of a category (program, tools, books, tips, etc.) that would (hopefully) be self-maintaining by allowing Guests(?)/Members to vote (much like a poll) once it is established.
  • Dynamic ranking on the server based on each vote up to the minute like the polls, but unlike the polls, the listed order would be dynamic with the "best" at the top and worst at the bottom.
  • Fraud would be controlled by the same mechanism that polls use.  Minimal moderator intervention would be required.

This is a project I would like to have my fingers in the pie a lot.  I have never done any back-end coding before and I would like to get some experience (I am not asking for direct access to the server), but anyone that can catch the vision would be welcome to participate.

If there is already a "scoreboard," please feel free to direct me to its location.  If not, would the ability to go to the "DC Scoreboard" and look at the list of "Widgets" to see at a glance which "Widget" the DC community has identified as the best be something that would benefit your time on DC?  

What do you think?  At least tell me if this already exists and where?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:26 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC Scoreboard... anyone wanna play?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:10 AM »
sounds like a useful idea, but one that would not be dc specific -- so maybe a generic website that does this is around somewhere?

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:31 PM »
sounds like a useful idea, but one that would not be dc specific -- so maybe a generic website that does this is around somewhere?

Yeah, it's so "useful" that in a hundred views yours is the only response and that was essentially a rejection.  So what, it's just back to the drawing board again for a crack at my other ideas.

For the record, *if* this did take on some life and given that it would be DC Members and Guests that would do the "voting," how would this work? :huh:

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Sounds like what Pligg is for - Pligg was originally created as a Digg clone.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:06 PM »

Thanks for the link.  I really appreciate it.  Before I say anything else, I'd like to say that if I sound frustrated, it is not at you or Mouser or anyone.  I am just frustrated.  I have had an idea for tapping the incredible resources at DC for years and I can not pin it down!  The vision is tangible, but elusive.  It wisps by my thoughts daily, like looking through the fog.  That is why I requested participation.  I had hoped with the help of others, it might be able to be framed more concisely.  Let me try to see if I can get the actions I visualize to use the "idea."  The vision has some steps, but this can be changed to whatever works best.

<<1>> Somewhere/somehow on DC, members and guests meander over to the "survey" (or whatever) page and click (vote) for their favorites.

<<2>> Let's imagine I am looking for a SD Card Reader.  I go to bestlist.dcmembers.donationcoder.com (or click on a link at DC that takes me there) on my laptop and choose the "Hardware" category.  Next I choose "Readers."  Next choice, "Card Readers."  Finally I navigate to, "SD Card Readers."  Now I am presented with a ranked list.  Depending on the candidates, I make a choice or continue my research accordingly.  

The above list I would consider above would have been dynamically populated based on the continuous "clicks" in step 1.

Other ideas might be some way of flagging polls or maybe a dedicated "survey" page, etc.

In regard to your "pligg" suggestion, I could try that or maybe even set it up on some other server, but how would that benefit DC?  Consider the prerequisite to that... how would we get the DC folks over there to vote/use?  Would this be powered by a direct link on DC to the "list" site?  See, There are lots of questions I have no reference to answer.  It is because of the caliber of intellect and integrity that exists at DC that would give a tool like this an integrity that could be used and depended on.  I can assure you this is in no way intended or purposed to put my name up in lights.  My purpose is specifically for the betterment (AFAICT) of DC and the folks there.  I would be totally willing to converse via PM with anyone that wanted to run with it and I would bow out as a principal, if my lack of expertise or experience hindered the project.

@Mouser,
I realize I could go and do this (or anything I would have the capability to do) where ever I please.  Maybe I will.  I was just hoping someone else at DC would catch my vision.  Please, if this is outside of the "vision" for DC, you or anyone else feel free to PM me and set me straight so I can work for DC and not against it.  I have said it before and I will say it again, Cody's Home is a very special place.
If I did set up a "list" on my own, would you be interested in linking DC to it somehow, so folks here could get there easily?  Comments?

[Edit - Additions]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:14 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:30 PM »

In regard to your "pligg" suggestion, I could try that or maybe even set it up on some other server, but how would that benefit DC?  Consider the prerequisite to that... how would we get the DC folks over there to vote/use?  Would this be powered by a direct link on DC to the "list" site?  See, There are lots of questions I have no reference to answer.  It is because of the caliber of intellect and integrity that exists at DC that would give a tool like this an integrity that could be used and depended on.  I can assure you this is in no way intended or purposed to put my name up in lights.  My purpose is specifically for the betterment (AFAICT) of DC and the folks there.  I would be totally willing to converse via PM with anyone that wanted to run with it and I would bow out as a principal, if my lack of expertise or experience hindered the project.

Pligg is an open source solution.  You host it on your domain and make modifications to suit.  Even from your updated description it sounds like what Pligg does.  Allow you to vote, and thus bubble up, postings - what the categories are, what the posting are is up to the person setting up a Pligg website.  I have even seen websites setup for voting on software using the Pligg engine.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:33 PM by Veign »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Pligg is an open source solution.  You host it on your domain and make modifications to suit.  Even from your updated description it sounds like what Pligg does.  Allow you to vote, and thus bubble up, postings - what the categories are, what the posting are is up to the person setting up a Pligg website.  I have even seen websites setup for voting on software using the Pligg engine.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I already had it on my ToDo list from your first suggestion.  :)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:27 PM »
Quite honestly it sounds like your ideas may fit into some bigger ideas that are being worked on for the future of DC and beyond. Maybe your idea would be encompassed within, or a useful addition to that. If you can wait a few months there will probably be more to talk about in that regard.

- Oshyan

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Quite honestly it sounds like your ideas may fit into some bigger ideas that are being worked on for the future of DC and beyond. Maybe your idea would be encompassed within, or a useful addition to that. If you can wait a few months there will probably be more to talk about in that regard.

- Oshyan

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement.  [Calvin moves "DC List" idea to back burner pilot light in hot water heater closet.]

Let me know if/when/how I can help.  After NANY I might dig into the idea myself on pligg, maybe.  I'll give a heads up if/when that happens.