topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lazarus-type program for plain text editors?  (Read 2984 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lazarus-type program for plain text editors?
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:27 PM »
Thanks to some messages on Donation Coder, I added the Lazarus add-on to Firefox.  Now, whenever my computer crashes or I accidentally press the wrong key and lose everything I've been typing anywhere in my browser, I call upon Lazarus and it retrieves it for me.  What a pleasure!  However, much of what I write is composed in UltraEdit, a plain text editor.  As far as I know, Lazarus won't work with such an editor.  Is there another program that will?  Something unobtrusive that works much like Lazarus?

Thanks in advance.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lazarus-type program for plain text editors?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Doesn't UltraEdit have an auto-backup feature? Considering it's amount of features and pricetag I would kinda expect it to. Other than that, Ctrl+S is a very handy keyboard shortcut that's pretty easy to press, even one-handed :P
- carpe noctem

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lazarus-type program for plain text editors?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Duh...thanks very much, f0dder, for your very helpful message.  I didn't want something that would depend on my remembering to hit CTL-S.  All too often I simply don't think about doing that until it's too late.  But your question about whether UltraEdit has such a feature built-in made me take a closer look, and sure enough, it does.  It has an automatic save feature that one can set to save every X minutes.  One can also say how many versions should be saved, where they should be saved, etc. etc.  I'm embarrassed that I hadn't found this on my own, but I'm delighted that it exists.  MANY MANY THANKS!!