topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: National Characters  (Read 8223 times)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
National Characters
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Hi,

I switched from Ditto to CHS because Ditto was taking 50% of my CPU. But when I copy paste ěščřžýáíé I get ìšèøžýáíé. Is there any way how to solve such a problem? I use English Win7 with Czech Local settings.

Thanks
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: National Characters
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:45 AM »
i'm afraid to say the answer.. CHS is not going to be good at unicode :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:38 AM »
CHS is written in Borland Codegear Embarcardo C++ Builder, and like many of my apps, does not handle unicode (non-ascii) characters well.  However, unlike some of my other programs, modifying it to support Unicode should as hard as the rest.. I've put it on my todo list -- maybe i will make it my first foray into unicode support.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:18 PM »
I had the same experience (with the same language) and went back to Ditto because of this.

@mouser: Unicode would be fine, but most of us would be happy with just the system locale codepage support. Would that be easier to implement?

@czb: I had the same problem with Ditto on XP and Vista. I managed to fix it (at least for some time) by deleting some large clips and then performing "Compact and Repair Database".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:22 PM by yksyks »

matesko

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:35 PM »
@mouser: you are mixing some things. Embarcadero i perfectly capable of displaying national symbols. What czb is talking is not unicode. Whar ex Borland C++ does not support is multibyte Unicode encodings like corean, chinese etc. Ther rest it supports just fine. I know that as I was working with borland Delphi before using croatian or any other locales - no Unicode 16bit...

and for me it really is a must have... too bad i have to revert to ditto.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:37 PM »
too bad i have to revert to ditto.

I've been using Ditto for a long time now(*), but I have never seen it take any significant CPU time (on XP). When idle, it doesn't even register in Process Explorer. The same when showing the window and scrolling through contents. Checking right now, I am only seeing a spike to 6% CPU when copying text to clipboard, for a split second, but this of course is negligible - and I'm running winamp now and some other working processes, so the actual Ditto usage is probably 3% or so.

I have it configured to keep one thousand most recent clips, for up to 7 days, with duplicates eliminated (searching for dupes may account for the momentary spike on copy), and I keep only text clips. I'm mentioning this on the remote chance that the way Ditto is configured on your system requires it to do a significant amount of housekeeping.

(*) I've tried almost everything else, and Ditto it's the only clipboard manager interface that really speeds up my work a lot. Perfect keyboard-only access, superfast filtering on typed substrings (more than just incremental search), and it positions itself next to text caret, so it always shows up at the spot your eyes are focused on. Unicode helps too, since I often deal with more than one language. I just turn off the networking support, and wish someone would recompile Ditto without it altogether.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39 AM »
@tranglos:

I absolutely agree and I'm using Ditto, too. However, czb and myself are not the only ones experiencing this bug, see the Ditto forum post, unfortunately without any response. It happens from time to time (say, once a month), slowing down the whole system to such an extent (even the mouse pointer stammers) that it's easier and faster to press the reset button.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04 AM »
It happens from time to time (say, once a month), slowing down the whole system to such an extent (even the mouse pointer stammers) that it's easier and faster to press the reset button.

This does look bad. This happens with the latest version, right? Maybe this is why I've never seen it happen. I haven't upgraded and am still using 3.15.04, but I understand the latest version is required on Win 7. Could be either a problem in Ditto itself or in the SQLite dll it uses.

matesko

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07 PM »
I had no problems with ditto. each of these programs has it's advantages. Clipboard Help+Spell has some nice features, like predefined date clips, but no national character support is a no go feature for me :(.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I had no problems with ditto. each of these programs has it's advantages. Clipboard Help+Spell has some nice features, like predefined date clips, but no national character support is a no go feature for me :(.

Oh, absolutely. Ditto probably has the fewest features of all the major clipboard extenders, it's a far cry from Mouser's CH&S in this regard. It's just that I find it uniquely suited for my workflow, where I type a lot of repetitive phrases. Anything that requires using the mouse, or navigating panes, or picking categories, etc., would totally kill the flow and would slow me down rather than speed me up. (I even registered ClipMate at some point, but it's entirely too complex for how I need to use it.)

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:27 AM »
@tranglos:

Again, I fully agree. I also tried several others and sticked with Ditto for the same reasons.

The problem appeared with the new version, which I installed because some issues of previous build on Vista (I can't recall the details, though). However, on Vista it runs quite fine, maybe I should downgrade on XP machine.