ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (11/31) > >>

superboyac:
Hahaha... ;D ;D
I love this guy, the author of Light Alloy.
So I'm browsing his all-Russian website using Google translator.  The front page says that the program is free for Russian speaking customers and there's a link:

which takes you to the license page.  Here, he gives the instructions on how to input the free license:

That's hilarious.  I'm trying to figure out what "Then have a little break his head over a mystery" means!  Maybe this is his way of truly filtering out russian speaking customers.  He beat google at their own game.  Brilliant!
[edit] I get it!  It's a riddle.  Cool.  Anyone?

J-Mac:
VLC Player was OK - I mainly used it for certain file types that didn't seem to want to play on anything else. Then with the versions right before 1.0 it got a lot better at just about everything on my PC. But Version 1.0 iddnt work very well at all for me and I was about to abandon it altogether. But the next two versions were about perfect IMO. UI is pretty bland, I agree, but it just seems to kick ass on files that I cannot get to play elsewhere. WMP11 is fine except for that doggone DRM. I had a number of downloaded tracks from Rhapsody that were perfectly legal; while the tracks were subscription-related I still had an active subscription to Rhapsody (heavily discounted on a deal with Comcast) and therefore the tracks should have been legal for me to play. But the latest version of Rhapsody Player at the time was real buggy and so I had not yet tried reinstalling it on a freshly reinstalled XP Pro. WMP11 would not play any of the tracks, saying that I must hafve Rhapsody Player installed before playing them. Other players played them anyway, so I gave up on WMP. I don't need that kind of policing.

VLC, since their 1.0 release, can now rip/burn DVD movies, believe it or not. My only big gripe is that if I'm watching a small video - wmv or avi - and don't want to open it up full screen, it keeps reverting back to the default size even though I set it to 2x. Every time a scene would change it would jump right back to small. So now I have to use the hotkey - Ctrl+4 - to make the size 2x and stay that way throughout the video. Plus, VLC has very decent frame-by-frame features, jump ahead or back short, medium, or long times. It just does a lot that other free viewers do not. At least that I have found.

Thanks!

Jim

superboyac:
By the way, I did a few experiments with MPC-HC and Light Alloy:
Light Alloy is still quicker to open a file.  Not that MPC is slow, but LA is quicker.  Just FYI.  I tried it with all kinds of files.

Curt:
Hahaha... ;D ;D
I love this guy, the author of Light Alloy.
 I get it!  It's a riddle.  Cool.  Anyone?
-superboyac (December 12, 2009, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

- no, I don't have it, (I couldn't even find a way to purchase it from the Russian spoken pages), but I am eager to learn! The Russian SLO.RU states Light Alloy to be freeware, so the answer to the riddle may not be too difficult, for Russians... (unless the SLO version is a special SLO-Russian version).

4wd:
The Russian SLO.RU states Light Alloy to be freeware, so the answer to the riddle may not be too difficult, for Russians... (unless the SLO version is a special SLO-Russian version).-Curt (December 12, 2009, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it says on the Softella website: Free for the Russian speaking population.

So, technically, if you can speak Russian you can use it for free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version