ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (4/31) > >>

superboyac:
It doesn't come with codecs internally.  The codecs need to be configured on your system for it to play video.  it's not the player's fault.-superboyac (December 07, 2009, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I know.  I have the CCCP codec pack installed; LightAlloy should be able to use those codecs.
-skwire (December 07, 2009, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure then.  That's one of the areas I'm not too good at.  I don't know how the system and video players figure out how to decode a video, nor do I know how to configure settings too much.  I understand for the internal ones like VLC, everything is just packaged with the program.  But with the ones that depend on your system configuration, it's an area I'm weak at.

The cccp pack should work, I don't know.  I would say ask the Light Alloy developer, but unless you are fluent in Russion, it might be difficult!

Curt:
...I kind of figured you meant SPlayer, ..., you might want to check it out:
http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html
-JavaJones (December 07, 2009, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

- really good and fast :-)
SPlayer is only almost as fast as Light Alloy, but more stable / agile.

I am however confused / disappointed that the huge number of hotkeys SPlayer comes with  doesn't come with a common and easy to use disable button, but each hotkey must be clicked several times in the settings, in order to merely disable it. You cannot use the rest of the computer when SPlayer Home Theater is running. Even characters like "A" or "H" are hotwired per default! But maybe I didn't notice the relevant button? Or maybe the secret is to learn to differ between the two versions the user actually gets (at installation it puts two shortcuts (SPlayer and SPlayer HomeTheater) on the quick launch bar)?

Curt:
post deleted, I said it wrongly

lanux128:
any thoughts on BSplayer? incidentally there's a band called Light Alloy.

steeladept:
I can't say for anyone else, but I know the reason I like VLC (and the only time I use it) is because there is a portable version of it.  There may be others, such as GOM which I have heard was portable, but VLC was good enough at the time and I never bothered looking further.  That is most likely why so many others like it too...It works good enough, and it was the first one they came across.  </threadjack>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version