ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (3/31) > >>

skwire:
Hmmmm...I just tried that LightAlloy build you attached.  I couldn't get it to play video for any type of file I tried (avi, mpg, mkv, or vob).  It would play the audio but not the video.  Furthermore, it didn't seem any faster than the MPC(HC)/CCCP combo I've used for years.  In fact, MPC seemed faster to me.  *shrug*  I don't mean this post as a flame...I'm just posting my thoughts.

superboyac:
2superboyac
Just wondering:
did you try to use command line version of mplayer.hu?
The engine is the same as for SMPlayer but getting rid off GUI made it the quickest one on my PC. Original version also had dhahelper.sys driver which increased its speed a lot. Even though there are a lot of good players I am still using it as default one (sorry KMPlayer).

Oh! And there is also Total Commander plugin to use this application through lister interface. I don't dare to dream for more ;)

-fenixproductions (December 07, 2009, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have tried it, and removed it.  Although i don't really remember why.  It may have been because it was a little too minimalist for me.

superboyac:
Hmmmm...I just tried that LightAlloy build you attached.  I couldn't get it to play video for any type of file I tried (avi, mpg, mkv, or vob).  It would play the audio but not the video.  Furthermore, it didn't seem any faster than the MPC(HC)/CCCP combo I've used for years.  In fact, MPC seemed faster to me.  *shrug*  I don't mean this post as a flame...I'm just posting my thoughts.
-skwire (December 07, 2009, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
It doesn't come with codecs internally.  The codecs need to be configured on your system for it to play video.  it's not the player's fault.  MPC is pretty fast also.  To be honest, I don't know why I ever stopped using MPC.  Years ago, i think I was just looking for newer programs to play with and MPC wasn't playing everything the way I wanted and/or there were errors every now and then.  All this stuff depends on what each person's video habits are.

I liked Light Alloy because it was specifically built for speed.  I think even with MPC or any other preferred player anyone has, it will be hard to beat the speed of Light Alloy.  Now, you may prefer other things about other players, but it can't be faulted for speed.

There are so many video players out there!  Someone should do a roundup.  It's weird how VLC is so popular even though I don't think it does any one thing better than another of the alternatives.  It definitely has the biggest name.

skwire:
It doesn't come with codecs internally.  The codecs need to be configured on your system for it to play video.  it's not the player's fault.-superboyac (December 07, 2009, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I know.  I have the CCCP codec pack installed; LightAlloy should be able to use those codecs.

JavaJones:
I've never really understood the popularity of VLC, although it *used* to have some features (ability to play certain file types) that other players usually struggled with. But the UI is still atrocious, and other players have far surpassed it both in features and format support.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version