>So, how much has Light Alloy developed; what are the pros and cons, now?
Well, since I'm a head developer of Light Alloy, my opinion can be slightly preconceived, but I will try to be objective.
I would prefer to start with cons:
- Lack of unicode support (gonna be fixed in Light Alloy 4.6.0 RC-3)
- Some performance issues (also gonna be fixed in 4.6.0 RC-3)
- Same problems with codecs, as MPC-HC has (since we use MPC-HC's codecs/splitters, but slightly modified to fit our needs).
- Lack of online-video support (url/rtsp, we have plans to add support for it in 4.6.1)
- Video-oriented player, not audio (major changes about this gonna happen in Light Alloy 5.0)
- Playlist without tabs.
- No looking up subtitles online (planned for LA 4.6.1 or 5.0)
- No uICE support, WinLIRC only
- Newer versions (4.6.0 RC-1/2) are buggy and can stop respond (because of very active development since August 2010 and major changes in code, in 2007-2010 development of player was actually stopped), but we working on it
- Not unified look (additional windows like subtitle options/picture options and so on are not skinned at all), but we gonna something to do with it in 4.6.0 RC-3.
- Well, it can play video with dxva
- It can show you charge of your notebook battery when you watching movie -- http://light-alloy.r...er/batterycharge.jpg
-- sorry, but I can't show you real-case screenshot because I haven't notebook.
- It has timeline, instead of progressbar. -- http://www.light-alloy.ru/timeline.png
(first one - it's timeline in LA)
- It has media-oriented open dialog -- http://sourceforge.n...r_open_dialog_en.jpg
-- with highlight recently created files/folders
- Not so much options, like KMPlayer/PotPlayer have -- http://sourceforge.n...t/scr_options_en.jpg
-- and I think its a good decision. I think there is very small amount of people who need full-set of features/tweaks that KMP/Potplayer provide.
- Easy accessable subtitle options dialog -- http://sourceforge.n.../scr_mw_subsopts.jpg
-- with a lot of options out-of-box (others hided in Preferences->OSD->Subtitles).
- Can create screenshots with customized OSD info: http://www.light-all...r/screenshot_osd.jpg
- Allows to create customized thumbnails.
-- "Additional" shows you presence of embedded subs/chapters in file.
- Most player button in control panel are click-able via right mouse button -- http://www.light-all...coder/adds_menus.jpg
-- for easy to access to often requested options (for example, right click on 'sound options' button will show you pop-up with audio streams available to switch).
- Scheduler - http://www.light-all...dcoder/scheduler.jpg
- Easy File/Subtitles browser like in GomPlayer -- http://www.light-all.../easyfilebrowser.jpg
-- also controlable via WinLIRC.
- Popup menu with often uses functions - http://www.light-all...dcoder/popupmenu.jpg
(i would not say about it like a 'pros', but anyway)
But after all, its just another media player
No actual pros/cons.
P.S. Since August 2010 its fully freeware. Also home page and forums can be displayed in english language, not only russian.
P.P.S. Mine pros/cons based on Light Alloy 4.6.0 RC-1, but battery charge screenshot has been made in 4.6.0 RC-3 (this feature available also in v4.5, but without battery preview like on screenshot which has been added in v4.6.0)
P.P.S Sorry for my bad English.