ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Implement features that are known to be loved in other programs, on your own

<< < (7/7)

mouser:
NinJA999,

Your analogy to an Architect designing a building is a really interesting one.

Although there are many differences when talking about a piece of software, where many features can be disabled or set in options, I think many of the points you are making can be seen at work in some of the most elegant software applications -- where authors really do consider themselves like architects -- trying to keep everything consistent and elegant and striving to create something with an artistic vision.

wraith808:
Although there are many differences when talking about a piece of software, where many features can be disabled or set in options, I think many of the points you are making can be seen at work in some of the most elegant software applications -- where authors really do consider themselves like architects -- trying to keep everything consistent and elegant and striving to create something with an artistic vision.
-mouser (August 22, 2011, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

When designing a building, there are also several options that can be 'turned on and off' in a manner of speaking.  It's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it is relatively as easy as that in comparison, i.e. colors of paint, or tiling, or other such things.

I think that NinJA999 is right on with a lot of his analogies; though many software developers are just trying to get things done, I think that most that are in the field are trying to better themselves, and write software that shows this.  I've been architect on a few projects in a few locations (don't currently have the title at my current position, but I am doing the work of one, and hoping for a promotion soon), and when in that position in an enterprise, you have to take such things into account- at least if you want to maintain your position.  Because once all is said and done, whatever framework ("foundation") you've put in will limit what can be built on top of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version