topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: REQUEST: Live Auction App  (Read 11935 times)

Commonkore

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
REQUEST: Live Auction App
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:29 PM »
It has been recommended that I post a request here for a simple program that will enable me to run a "live auction" for a volunteer organization. The program must be capable of inputting a list of items to be auctioned, a list of bidders c/w name, phone number etc. As the auction proceeds I would need to input the winning bid along with the winning bidder. When the bidder wishes to to check out, the software must be able to total all items purchased by the bidder with a list of those items. Various reports would be convenient such as total items sold, total taken in. List of items along with amount bid and successful bidder. Etc. Etc. Thanks for any help which can be offered. Alternatively, if anyone knows of an existing piece of software please advise. Thanks again.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: REQUEST: Live Auction App
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:41 PM »
I'll give this one a shot.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57 PM »
good for you scancode -- but this sounds like something that could easily reach above and beyond a coding snack to me!

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:50 PM »
good for you scancode -- but this sounds like something that could easily reach above and beyond a coding snack to me!
As we talked about on IRC, that's the idea :)

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Hmm... I'm having a bit of a hard time with this app...
What would your ideal workflow be?

Shavik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:46 PM »
So you don't need any client/server model just a single app that records items up for auction.. a list of clients... and then when a client wins an auction add it to their won item list?

Do you want it to keep track of every bid or just the winning bid?

Just winning bid will make this a piece of cake.

Commonkore

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:49 AM »
Just winning bid is all that is needed. This will be an extremely useful piece of software for volunteer organizations who use live auctions as fundraisers routinely. That is what I am looking for as we have a local church auction coming up in mid May. Thanks to all.

SingingBoyo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
  • Java is awesome... C++ needs more libraries
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Has this been done yet?  If it hasn't been, and you still need it, I could possibly throw something together (hope you can run Java though... I've got a hell of a week, but this sounds interesting.  Still, java only).  This sounds like it has a lot of potential, so I may keep going after I get something together for you.
So you came along and found Java(insert programming language here)? Randomly?  Well then, you're just like me! Java fiends rule.  (Though other languages do have their uses.)

Commonkore

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:00 AM »
Thanks for your inquirey. No, it has not yet been produced so anything right now would be very much appreciated. Unfortunately we need this for an auction this coming Saturday so time is running out on us for this particular auction. But even if something can't be ready for this weekend it would still be extremely useful for future use. Thanks again.

SingingBoyo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
  • Java is awesome... C++ needs more libraries
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Turns out I can't get it done... I got swamped with even more work and won't be done it all for too long.  Wish I could have done something or do something, but I'm out of time and it doesn't look like I'll have a chance anytime soon.
So you came along and found Java(insert programming language here)? Randomly?  Well then, you're just like me! Java fiends rule.  (Though other languages do have their uses.)

Commonkore

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for your consideration at least. Perhaps it will get done at some point. I can assure you it would be a very useful piece of software and I absolutely know of at least two volunteer organizations with whom I am involved that would be extremely grateful for having software like this available at a very reasonable cost or better still for free. Thanks again and all the very best to you in your endeavours.