ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FireFox problem.. Downloads with unusual names close instantly dont download

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
I've noticed over the last few months a consistent problem in firefox -- sometimes when trying to download a file, a beep is heard instantly after the file save name dialog is accepted.
The cause appears to be when the file name is slightly unusual -- nonstandard characters in the filename (% and such).  I suspect it's a security thing, but these files are really quite fine and the filenames aren't harmful.

Clearly this is not good behavior -- to close with a beep with no warning or error or any sign that anything unusual has occurred other than the beep.

It may be a firefox plugin or an option i have set.. any ideas? Anyone know what i'm talking about?

zridling:
Could it be a virus scanning option or an adblocker setting?

Curt:
Is it the 'Save as...' box only or the entire Firefox that will close on you?

mouser:
it's just the actual save that is aborted - the save as box closes as normal after you click "save", but you hear a beep and you can tell (took me a while to realize what as happening) that it just aborted the download completely without any warning.

i'm on windows xp pro x64 and i've noticed the problem for a couple of months.

40hz:
Moons ago I ran into a similar problem with some FTP clients that would crash if the filename being downloaded contained the % character. The fix was to edit out the character when selecting the SAVE AS filename.

Possibly these characters are being interpreted by Firefox as a token, wildcard, internal command, or delimiter of some sort? Almost sounds like it's being interpreted as an EOF marker.

Then there's also the issue of cross-platform compatibility. Firefox runs on multiple operating systems. Is the % symbol an illegal character in some other OS filesystem that Firefox is coded to intercept?

FWIW I seem to remember it being told it's a good idea not to use the characters !:@#<>$%^&* in your filenames even if your OS permits them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version