topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION: fSekrit 1.40 shrinkwrapped!  (Read 84409 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION: fSekrit 1.40 shrinkwrapped!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 01:24 PM »
I prefer, Electric Cattle-prod decryption...
I think the rubber hose method is better - you don't want to risk the neurological damage & amnesia that electric shock can introduce ;)

Never underestimate the effectiveness of a sharp stick!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38 AM »
MerleOne, you can use the "fsekrit.portable" approach to have the editor executable created in the same folder as the "document" itself - but it will still involve creating a temporary exe. Unfortunately there isn't really any way around this, a temporary exe is necessary in order to update the main exe. I've been pondering whether I should add a "installed" mode where a global installed fSekrit.exe is used as editor, but there's a few problems with that approach as well.
Thanks.  How do I use this portable approach, I mean could you tell me where it is decribed ?  Thanks.
.merle1.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:26 AM »
It's not very well documented :-[

It's in the changelog.txt from 1.40:
- added: "portable" mode, which (for now) means it will not use %TEMP% to store
  it's temporary editor executable, but instead store it in the same folder as
  the opened document. Registry is still used for font selection, though!
  To enabel this feature, create a file called "fSekrit.portable" in the same
  folder as the document you want to function in portable mode.
-changelog.txt
- carpe noctem

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Thanks !
.merle1.

webfork

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Although some of the users posting here have evaluated this security solution alongside PGP/GPG, it should be noted that simplicity in security is critical.  Even among some of the most paranoid, security conscious people I know, NOBODY uses PGP for some reason.

Few other things:

1. Any way to perhaps rename or change a fSekrit file so it will transfer across email services that block sending executables?  Maybe a zip file inside a zip file or something similar?

2. You mentioned over on portablefreeware.com awhile back that you'd open the source code http://www.portablef...dex.php?id=784#14386  ... any chance that's going to happen?

I know this is an old project so if you'd like it to mothball, I certainly understand.  Thanks for your work on it so far.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Although some of the users posting here have evaluated this security solution alongside PGP/GPG, it should be noted that simplicity in security is critical.  Even among some of the most paranoid, security conscious people I know, NOBODY uses PGP for some reason.
PGP serves a very different purpose than fSekrit, though, and it's still worthwhile for those reasons. I store my passwords and other stuff in fSekrit documents, but if I were to receive encrypted email I'd prefer something pubkey encrypted... and if I need to sign data, that would also be with something pubkey based. It'd probably be GPG rather than PGP though :)

1. Any way to perhaps rename or change a fSekrit file so it will transfer across email services that block sending executables?  Maybe a zip file inside a zip file or something similar?
Not something I would implement in fSekrit, as it's a pretty specialized usecase. Also, trying to subvert such scanners would likely get fSekrit blacklisted :). I have plans to support loading/saving ".fSekrit" files instead of only dealing with the .exe containers. Would that work for you?

2. You mentioned over on portablefreeware.com awhile back that you'd open the source code http://www.portablef...dex.php?id=784#14386  ... any chance that's going to happen?
Yeah, it is - I know I've been very very slow in making good on the promise though. My girlfriend got me hooked on world of warcrack at xmas... need I say more? :-[

I know this is an old project so if you'd like it to mothball, I certainly understand.  Thanks for your work on it so far.
I still use it daily, so I don't feel like abandoning it. I was working on some substantial rewrites, though, and got stuck on some boring-to-write code - that, combined with a zillion real-life things (and warcrack >_<) sucking up time unfortunately pushed fSekrit to a fairly low position on the priority list.

I'm hoping to change that soon, though. Being done with the education system and having found a job means more spare time :)
- carpe noctem

Tumanbl4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Hi, can you recompile fSekrit with "portable mode" as default - without use file "fSekrit.portable", please (sorry if my english is not well)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:04 AM by Tumanbl4 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 01:03 AM »
I've been trying to use fSekrit lately and I keep getting errors when I try to save a file.

fSekrit Error.png

And lots of little .tmp files are being saved in the directory where I'm trying to save the file.

fSekrit Temp Files.png

I'm not sure, but I think this is bad (as in insecure). Why is this happening and how do I get it so it will save my file?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:19 AM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 03:45 AM »
Only things I can think of is:
a) The file you opened is read-only.
b) You don't have permission to write to the destination.
c) Your AV/AM program has taken exception to fSekrit and refuses to let it write out the final executable.

My money goes with (c) ... but I'm probably wrong.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35 AM »
Have you tried renaming a .tmp to .exe and running it. I suspect they might be copies the program saved since it couldn't overwrite the original.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I agree with 4wd's guess:
c) Your AV/AM program has taken exception to fSekrit and refuses to let it write out the final executable.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Have you tried renaming a .tmp to .exe and running it. I suspect they might be copies the program saved since it couldn't overwrite the original.

I tried that and it's just a vanilla fSekrit.exe. It opens straight up to a blank text editor with no prompt for a password.

I agree with 4wd's guess:

Well, sometimes it lets me write it out, and sometimes it doesn't. It often gives me that error first and then if I try to save again it will save. But this last time I tried it, it refused to save no matter how many times I tried. That is... until I saved to a different file.

I checked and it's not set to read-only.

I'm guessing it has something to do with how long the program has been open. Because if I open the file and edit it and save it within a couple of minutes, it works fine. But there's one or two in particular that I leave open for long periods of time (because I repeatedly need the info contained in it) and after perhaps a couple of days it starts giving me the error about not being able to save it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 06:50 AM »
   Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but as of late Windows Defender has been False Positive-ing FSekrit on several (read all of my) machines. It's the same copy I've been using for years - so I know it's clean - but WD just started having a cow about it about a week ago.

I don't know how many other AV suites are/will be FP'ing it, but FSkrit is my favorite and only password manager, so I'd hate to see it's reputation take a hit. It might be the shrinkwrap that it's tripping over...I don't know, I haven't had time to try exploring it. I just wanted to be sure it was noted as a False Positive.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Still having issues with MS Windows Defender going FP on fSekrit. I was temporarily successful in just whitelisting the .exe for awhile ... But now every time I try to open it WD deletes the runtime copy from the Windows Temp folder, which makes it impossible to open without disabling the WD AV.

So I submitted it to the MS Windows Defender Team as a False Positive, and would greatly appreciate it if anyone else that also likes and relies on this delightfully handy little program to do the same in the hopes that it will finally be left alone to do the job that it does so well.

Thank you,

Stoic Joker

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 03:37 AM »
I happened to find a similar(actually i think the same) program Text-2-EXE

they have just a little difference and same function even with same icon :-[
fSekrit comes out in 2006 while i cant find the information when Text-2-EXE first comes out. So idk who develop this prog first, or maybe you are the same person(but different name with same icon?)
i guess they copy yours because i can't see any changelog or readme in their website. and the more important thing is that fSekrit works for me while Text-2-EXE not(windows 10)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 05:27 AM »
Ugh, missed forum reply notifications for this one!

At first glance, this seems to be a very clear ripoff of fSekrit (although with internationalization added?). The maxa-tools site seems to be down at the moment (Domain Status    On-hold (redemption Period)), but it seems the tool has been shared to a bunch of sites (portablefreeware, softpedia, heise, ...).

I've taken a quick look at the text2exe.exe downloaded from Heise in a hex editor, and... it looks like it's a Visual Basic application. So, not a hackjob that's just replacing resources, and not somebody doing a few modifications to the open-source version of fSekrit... but doing pretty much a reimplementation?

The mind, it boggles :huh:
- carpe noctem

Ding

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Ugh, missed forum reply notifications for this one!

At first glance, this seems to be a very clear ripoff of fSekrit (although with internationalization added?). The maxa-tools site seems to be down at the moment (Domain Status    On-hold (redemption Period)), but it seems the tool has been shared to a bunch of sites (portablefreeware, softpedia, heise, ...).

I've taken a quick look at the text2exe.exe downloaded from Heise in a hex editor, and... it looks like it's a Visual Basic application. So, not a hackjob that's just replacing resources, and not somebody doing a few modifications to the open-source version of fSekrit... but doing pretty much a reimplementation?

The mind, it boggles :huh:
It seems maxa-tools is gone for good, but I've attached it here for posterity's sake.

I'd love it if fSekrit received an update after all this time. I'd really like to see a wrap-around Find, and maybe even a Find & Replace, as well as a Dark Theme.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2022, 10:57 PM »
Probably not a question that should be asked here :-[

Is fSekrit still a good recommended tool for creating individual encrypted text files? The purpose is to keep and send small text files to someone without asking them to do much and not installing anything myself