Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 04, 2016, 04:19:00 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION: fSekrit 1.40 shrinkwrapped!  (Read 27228 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION: fSekrit 1.40 shrinkwrapped!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
I prefer, Electric Cattle-prod decryption...
I think the rubber hose method is better - you don't want to risk the neurological damage & amnesia that electric shock can introduce ;)

Never underestimate the effectiveness of a sharp stick!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
MerleOne, you can use the "fsekrit.portable" approach to have the editor executable created in the same folder as the "document" itself - but it will still involve creating a temporary exe. Unfortunately there isn't really any way around this, a temporary exe is necessary in order to update the main exe. I've been pondering whether I should add a "installed" mode where a global installed fSekrit.exe is used as editor, but there's a few problems with that approach as well.
Thanks.  How do I use this portable approach, I mean could you tell me where it is decribed ?  Thanks.
.merle1.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
It's not very well documented :-[

It's in the changelog.txt from 1.40:
Quote from: changelog.txt
- added: "portable" mode, which (for now) means it will not use %TEMP% to store
  it's temporary editor executable, but instead store it in the same folder as
  the opened document. Registry is still used for font selection, though!
  To enabel this feature, create a file called "fSekrit.portable" in the same
  folder as the document you want to function in portable mode.
- carpe noctem

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
Thanks !
.merle1.

webfork

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
Although some of the users posting here have evaluated this security solution alongside PGP/GPG, it should be noted that simplicity in security is critical.  Even among some of the most paranoid, security conscious people I know, NOBODY uses PGP for some reason.

Few other things:

1. Any way to perhaps rename or change a fSekrit file so it will transfer across email services that block sending executables?  Maybe a zip file inside a zip file or something similar?

2. You mentioned over on portablefreeware.com awhile back that you'd open the source code http://www.portablef...dex.php?id=784#14386  ... any chance that's going to happen?

I know this is an old project so if you'd like it to mothball, I certainly understand.  Thanks for your work on it so far.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
Although some of the users posting here have evaluated this security solution alongside PGP/GPG, it should be noted that simplicity in security is critical.  Even among some of the most paranoid, security conscious people I know, NOBODY uses PGP for some reason.
PGP serves a very different purpose than fSekrit, though, and it's still worthwhile for those reasons. I store my passwords and other stuff in fSekrit documents, but if I were to receive encrypted email I'd prefer something pubkey encrypted... and if I need to sign data, that would also be with something pubkey based. It'd probably be GPG rather than PGP though :)

1. Any way to perhaps rename or change a fSekrit file so it will transfer across email services that block sending executables?  Maybe a zip file inside a zip file or something similar?
Not something I would implement in fSekrit, as it's a pretty specialized usecase. Also, trying to subvert such scanners would likely get fSekrit blacklisted :). I have plans to support loading/saving ".fSekrit" files instead of only dealing with the .exe containers. Would that work for you?

2. You mentioned over on portablefreeware.com awhile back that you'd open the source code http://www.portablef...dex.php?id=784#14386  ... any chance that's going to happen?
Yeah, it is - I know I've been very very slow in making good on the promise though. My girlfriend got me hooked on world of warcrack at xmas... need I say more? :-[

I know this is an old project so if you'd like it to mothball, I certainly understand.  Thanks for your work on it so far.
I still use it daily, so I don't feel like abandoning it. I was working on some substantial rewrites, though, and got stuck on some boring-to-write code - that, combined with a zillion real-life things (and warcrack >_<) sucking up time unfortunately pushed fSekrit to a fairly low position on the priority list.

I'm hoping to change that soon, though. Being done with the education system and having found a job means more spare time :)
- carpe noctem

Tumanbl4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58:28 AM »
Hi, can you recompile fSekrit with "portable mode" as default - without use file "fSekrit.portable", please (sorry if my english is not well)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:04:28 AM by Tumanbl4 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • The Blog of Deozaan
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 01:03:28 AM »
I've been trying to use fSekrit lately and I keep getting errors when I try to save a file.

fSekrit Error.png

And lots of little .tmp files are being saved in the directory where I'm trying to save the file.

fSekrit Temp Files.png

I'm not sure, but I think this is bad (as in insecure). Why is this happening and how do I get it so it will save my file?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:19:48 AM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 03:45:47 AM »
Only things I can think of is:
a) The file you opened is read-only.
b) You don't have permission to write to the destination.
c) Your AV/AM program has taken exception to fSekrit and refuses to let it write out the final executable.

My money goes with (c) ... but I'm probably wrong.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:46 AM »
Have you tried renaming a .tmp to .exe and running it. I suspect they might be copies the program saved since it couldn't overwrite the original.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
I agree with 4wd's guess:
c) Your AV/AM program has taken exception to fSekrit and refuses to let it write out the final executable.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • The Blog of Deozaan
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Have you tried renaming a .tmp to .exe and running it. I suspect they might be copies the program saved since it couldn't overwrite the original.

I tried that and it's just a vanilla fSekrit.exe. It opens straight up to a blank text editor with no prompt for a password.

I agree with 4wd's guess:

Well, sometimes it lets me write it out, and sometimes it doesn't. It often gives me that error first and then if I try to save again it will save. But this last time I tried it, it refused to save no matter how many times I tried. That is... until I saved to a different file.

I checked and it's not set to read-only.

I'm guessing it has something to do with how long the program has been open. Because if I open the file and edit it and save it within a couple of minutes, it works fine. But there's one or two in particular that I leave open for long periods of time (because I repeatedly need the info contained in it) and after perhaps a couple of days it starts giving me the error about not being able to save it.