topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Circle Dock won't start from WinPE bootable disc  (Read 9816 times)

gorancheros

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Circle Dock won't start from WinPE bootable disc
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I don't think that there was a thread for this problem, so : i have a custom built bootable windows 7 disc and i have tried to start CircleDock at startup, but it won't start, with error : " The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135)...". I have noticed that there are some DLL's missing from System32 folder on disc, but the question is which exactly are required by this handsome docky to run?
This goes to application coders. Can i have a list of required DLL files ( .NET specific maybe?). Is it good enough to put them all in the same folder where EXE is?
Any help is welcome!  Thanks!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Circle Dock won't start from WinPE bootable disc
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Hm, is it possible to install the dotNet runtime on a WinPE image? I don't think you're going to have much success just copying the dotNet DLLs over manually...
- carpe noctem

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Welcome to Donationcoder.com and CircleDocks little corner here.  :)

The problem is listed in the error code.....this is a lack of Net Framework error

.Net framework Libraries (Dll's) are missing.

I am not sure that in the conditions you are running the OS that .net framework is available.

I have just done some really quick homework...It may be possible, but noting quick and easy.
Most notes I am finding is doing this with XP and .net framework 2.0  :-[

gorancheros

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:14 PM »
@sgtevmckay: Thank you, actualy you gave me an idea! I'll try silent install of dotNet on startup prior to starting CircleDock. It should work. I'll try tomorrow...

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:09 PM »
@sgtevmckay: Thank you, actualy you gave me an idea! I'll try silent install of dotNet on startup prior to starting CircleDock. It should work. I'll try tomorrow...

I would be interested in teh results to be sure  8)

gorancheros

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 02:17 AM »
Bad news, in order to install dot.Net framework, Windows installer 3.1 is required, which is not imbeded in WinPE :-( So this option goes off.

Yet, there is a plug-in script for BartPe that integrates .Net, but is unusable for this purpose.

Now, the only trick left is to hack registry and add the missing keys (after all, it's all about registry). My plan is to compare the registry of standard W7 installation(which b.t.w. comes with .Net preinstalled) and WinPe registry, export the differential keys that seem to refer to .Net and use them.   

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:23 AM »
Now, the only trick left is to hack registry and add the missing keys (after all, it's all about registry). My plan is to compare the registry of standard W7 installation(which b.t.w. comes with .Net preinstalled) and WinPe registry, export the differential keys that seem to refer to .Net and use them.
Good luck - talk to you in a lifetime ;)
- carpe noctem

gorancheros

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:54 AM »

I just feel lucky, somebody have done my job :-) With this http://www.colinfinc...eplugs/dotnetfx20pe/, works like a charm. Problem solved, see you!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:56 AM »
nice find, thanks for sharing that discovery gorancheros.   :up:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:11 AM »

I just feel lucky, somebody have done my job :-) With this http://www.colinfinc...eplugs/dotnetfx20pe/, works like a charm. Problem solved, see you!
Good find - you definitely wouldn't have liked doing the thing manually :)
- carpe noctem

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:43 PM »
This is great  :Thmbsup:

Could I talk you into doing a write up on how to and the experience of teh integration????

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11 AM »
I don't think that there was a thread for this problem, so : i have a custom built bootable windows 7 disc and i have tried to start CircleDock at startup, but it won't start, with error : " The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135)...". I have noticed that there are some DLL's missing from System32 folder on disc, but the question is which exactly are required by this handsome docky to run?
This goes to application coders. Can i have a list of required DLL files ( .NET specific maybe?). Is it good enough to put them all in the same folder where EXE is?
Any help is welcome!  Thanks!
I see you've solved your problem - or have you? When you say "WinPE" do you mean "WinPE" or "BartPE"? There is a big difference. WinPE is a proprietary format issued by Microsoft to its Software Assurance Members and is a command-line tool - it does not have a graphical user interface. There are a number of programs available on the Net that claim to build WinPE, some of which are simply wrappers around Microsoft's WinPE builder tools, whilst others do provide a GUI. Their use may not be (entirely) legal.

BartPE is somewhat different in that it produces a running copy of Windows with a full GUI and requires your original distribution CD to work. I suspect that this is actually what you have.

Now to BartPE and Circle Dock. Finding the INF plug-in for .Net Framework and installing that into a BartPE CD is only half the task: you will also need to create a plug-in for Circle Dock and this page may help you with that. You will also need to build and configure the Dock before creating the BartPE ISO. To this end I suggest you wait until version 1.00 is released as this contains the necessary smarts to recognise read-only media (such as CD and DVD ROMs) and will automatically prevent Circle Dock from attempting to write anything to disk - in effect making it a "Kiosk" application.

Mark