ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

do you know good photo collection hosting site

<< < (3/4) > >>

OldElmerFudd:
Really depends on your needs. What are you looking for? If pure sharing is your goal, Flickr is definitely the most ubiquitous site for this. Everyone has heard of it and Flickr has the most users of that ilk.

However if privacy is a concern, just forget Flickr. Your photos can be found and grabbed by anyone on the internet regardless of your privacy settings. Smugmug is the best with privacy I have found. However SmugMug is also considerably more expensive. Photobucket is another possibility. Easy to use, very easy to link to images from there for a blog, etc. And Photobucket, like Flickr, has nice pricing.

Hope this helps!

Jim
-J-Mac (December 04, 2009, 11:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for this and your other explanatory post about Flickr. I don't use it myself, but I've occasionally mentioned it along with other photo sharing sites to friends. Privacy seems like more and more of an illusion these days, but if a site allows a user to set "permissions", they should honor the intent.

J-Mac:
Like, say, Facebook?   ;D

Look, the more money they find in Social/Sharing behavior, the more they will push users into publicizing their content rather than keeping it private. I had it happen on LiveJournal. I had a journal set to private, they changed their settings pages and all of mine were automagically set to Public. It'll probably only get worse.

Just know what you are getting into, and that anything you ever post online is ultimately public. No getting around it, really.

Jim

Jibz:
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/12/10/facebook-rolls-out-privacy-settings-intended-to-make-us-all-go-public/

Saw that in action yesterday .. the way that facebook popup describes it is just wrong.

After you've done the popup and changed everything from "visible to everybody" to "use my old settings", go into privacy settings, under Applications and Websites->What your friends can share about you, and you can remove the default of every app being able to share all your information despite of the other settings *grumble*.

JavaJones:
Like, say, Facebook?   ;D

Look, the more money they find in Social/Sharing behavior, the more they will push users into publicizing their content rather than keeping it private. I had it happen on LiveJournal. I had a journal set to private, they changed their settings pages and all of mine were automagically set to Public. It'll probably only get worse.

Just know what you are getting into, and that anything you ever post online is ultimately public. No getting around it, really.

Jim
-J-Mac (December 10, 2009, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahhhh, unless you post it on your *own* site! Perhaps the solution then - if privacy is a concern - would be to use a system you can host yourself on your own server, e.g. Gallery2, Coppermine, etc.

- Oshyan

app103:
Privacy in dropbox photo albums seems to be pretty good. Nobody can see the images unless you personally invite them, have a dropbox account, and are logged in. And you can easily revoke permissions. And I believe they can be set, per album. (don't confuse this with sticking them in your public folder where anyone can see them if they know the url)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version