ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (9/36) > >>

40hz:
@ 40hz - A little crazy?!? Zoiks! I wonder how much torque 45 HDDs spinning up at once produces? Do they guage drive activity by how voilently the rack it's mounted in is shaking?-Stoic Joker (May 25, 2011, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was my first thought too. They address it in their blog however:

A note about drive vibration: The drives vibrate too much if you leave them sitting as shown in the picture above, so we add an “anti-vibration sleeve” (essentially a rubber band) around the hard drive in between the red metal grid and the drives. This seats the drives tightly in the rubber. We also lay a large (16″ x 17″ x 1/8″) piece of foam along top of the hard drives after all 45 are in the case. The lid then screws down on top of the foam to hold the drives securely. In the future, we will dedicate an entire blog post to vibration.
--- End quote ---

They didn't quite give an entire post to vibration, but there was a follow-up post. You can read it here.

----------

1.5GB x 45 drives to get to 67.5GB seems like a really old design considering they have 3TB drives now.
--- End quote ---

Helps if I can use the correct multiplier. It is terabytes - not gigabytes as I originally wrote. (Thanks Superboy for spotting that!)  :-[

Note: This article was written in 2009. They were already mentioning plans to go over to 2TB drives in the near future.

Then again my brother does work in a metal shop, so the case would be fairly cheap... :-\

--- End quote ---

I'd be more likely to just do it in an open cage with a large fan blowing directly across it. Since I don't need to worry about space and density like they do, I don't feel a need to pack every available inch with a drive.

Stoic Joker:
I didn't have time to go read the details at work today ... but Damn! 67.5 TeraBytes.

...Now I'm afraid to read it ... 'Cause the wife will freakin shoot me if I come off with an idea like that.

40hz:
I didn't have time to go read the details at work today ... but Damn! 67.5 TeraBytes.

...Now I'm afraid to read it ... 'Cause the wife will freakin shoot me if I come off with an idea like that.
-Stoic Joker (May 25, 2011, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not surprising. If you were temped, it would probably be the only merciful thing to do. ;D :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
I can fill up 60 TB no problem.  Uncompressed movies and music.  Backup.  Done.

40hz:
I can fill up 60 TB no problem.  Uncompressed movies and music.  Backup.  Done.
-superboyac (May 26, 2011, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yoiks! I'd think you'd be a shoe-in for the coveted 2011 "Swat Fly with Sledgehammer" Tech Achievement Award (also known in geek circles as the Spank the Monkey Medal) if you did that.
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version