ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 — first impressions

<< < (13/18) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I had to go into Control Panel to check ... I get prompts so seldom I keep forgetting UAC is on.

J-Mac:
f0dder, Josh:

I can't seem to use the "quote" button here now - tells me it cannot complete verification, so anyway this is on reply to your most recent posts above:

I don't give a flying **** if those two apps are "poorly programmed" as you two call them. Chameleon Startup Manager and Everything have worked flawlessly for me since I first discovered them - here on DC as a matter of fact! They perform their respective functions exactly as promised, and are exactly what I wish to use. And the two of you are going to tell me that I'm using crapware? Bullshit!

What have they programmed so poorly? Their apps work very well. Is it that they did not add in code to satisfy the UAC program? If that is all they have done so poorly, then I can live with that. If one or both suddenly - after all the use I have given them - rip up my system, well then it's on me. I paid for this damn OS, I paid for the computer and all associated hardware connected to it. And I'll damn well run whatever I please on it, Microsoft be damned... and worse if need be! What do you suggest? That I look around and find something that might be able to replicate what those two apps can do but also made a point to go get their Microsoft Logo Certs? Not me.

Hey, I run only licensed software, I pay for every damn app I use regularly - whether by price or by donation (and I'll match my total donations to independent developers, and not just here at DC, against anyone here) - and I run my machines with licensed Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, plenty of diagnostics and system monitors, and I try to practice smart and safe computer usage. I usually customize my systems, but only within my capabilities; I don't download a lot of crap from torrent sites and cross my fingers that they aren't so dirty that they infect my refrigerator, TV, and washer and dryer, too  (  ;D ). But I will not abandon the use of some of my favorite utilities and go buy certified ones because they fail in only one single aspect - getting by Microsoft's admitted "annoyance" alert program UAC.  Ain't happening!!

And dat's da truth...   :P :P :P

XXOO

Jim  ;)

Carol Haynes:
I use Everything on all my computers (XP, Vista, 7) and never see a UAC prompt (and yes it is enabled).

You just have to setup how the app starts via the task manager (as already mentioned). ANd yes the only reason you have to do this is becuase Everything uses none standard methods to access the filing system and MS quite rightly wanrs you of this if you aren't running in purley admin mode.

At the end of the day the choice is there - if you don't like UAC turn it off. Going back to Windows XP because it is isritating is plain stupid - there is no UAC in XP, so you may as well have no UAC in Vista/7 - at least then you get a better firewall.

Stoic Joker:
The Edsil was a fine car...but you can't buy one today because they failed to keep up with the changing times. Much so with software. The secure computing environment has changed radically in the past 5 years, and some folks have just spent too much time dragging their feet. They seem to be coding like they're hoping the good ol' Win9x security-less days will return ... and they will not. This is neither good, nor bad, it simply is.

UAC was designed has a half-step to ease people out of the (extreemly dangerous) habit of doing everyday tasks with administrative rights. Many (if not most) of the apps that trigger UAC repeatedly will be just as ill behaved if run in a standard user account.

Hell it took me 5 years to get T-Clock to behave the way I wanted it to, but it had to be done if I was going to be able to continue using it on the newer more security oriented OSs.

J-Mac:
Carol, Stoic: I didn't say I was going back to XP!! Nothing that drastic. And I am using the user account that was automatically setup for me by the system. I believe that has admin privileges when needed to elevate an app but most of the time does not use them. And I think that is indeed a great idea. About three PCs ago - which would be five or six years I guess - I was using the Administrator account. At the time I didn't realize how dangerous it was. The system - either HP Pavilion or Dell Dimension, can't remember which specifically, was preset-up that way and I didn't know enough to change it. When I did learn I started to change it but do you know how hard it is to set up a new user and then actually use it? Clean desktop, none of my apps available to me. All would need to be uninstalled/reinstalled according to their support people, so I left it like it was for another six months till I got a new 'puter.

I prefer it like it is now, though I am certain there are people who still prefer to use Admin account. Their loss, if you ask me. Inexperienced users wouldn't know how to switch and use the Admin account for the most part. UAC is supposedly aimed at such inexperienced users. Anyway, mine is now off.  :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version