ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 — first impressions

<< < (5/18) > >>

tranglos:
Actually, in Win7, it can distinguish between user-initiated actions. You have to remember, however, that certain actions WILL throw a prompt making sure its something you want to do (Launching regedit or certain MMC Snapins).
-Josh (November 30, 2009, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since it's pretty much impossible to launch regedit or a snapin accidentally, the prompt seems redundant.

And the reason it can ask for confirmations is if that application is compromised (which is why no white-lists are made for UAC) and it tries to do something admin level, it will alert you.
--- End quote ---

Then it should alert when a process tries to do somtehing fishy, not simply when the process starts. It's impossible to know beforehand whether an app has been compromised or not. Again, this is what AV/antispyware software is there to detect.

UAC is DESIGNED to give you warnings to potential hazardous applications or programs.
--- End quote ---

Like Tune-Up Utilities 2010 :) I installed it, I launch it, I don't need to click through another prompt - it just makes no sense. What is anyone supposed to do - say Oh noes, I bought this really dangerous software, maybe I should listen to Windows and not use it after all? It's crazy.

At the same time, there are no prompts when TuneUp installer registers its services, which is where a malware app could do some real harm.

I just can't see a scenario where I should be prompted before I knowingly execute a known application. It serves no purpose if the app is fine, and it serves no purpose if the app is a trojan, because I cannot know that. At the very least there should be an option like "Do not prompt for this application again".

Carol Haynes:
Amazon won't ship this outside of the UK - at least this has been my experience with software, I haven't tried this specific item. I'd normally be happy with an English version of Windows, but having the PL version is a must for my work, since I often need to check the UI to keep my translations consistent. There are glossaries, but they often lag behind what's actually shown on screen.
-tranglos (November 30, 2009, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

If that is the case you should contact Amazon since they are in violation of EU trading law. The whole point of the single market as it was set up was to remove trade barriers in Europe.

If you want a copy from the UK and can't get it any other way contact me via PM and we can arrange something!

tranglos:
Then you need to upgrade roughly half of the shareware apps you use. Properly written apps should not bring forth a UAC prompt unless they are a system utility (spyware scanner, defragger, etc.). I have UAC set on high and rarely see UAC prompts.
-Innuendo (November 29, 2009, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why should there be a prompt to run a spyware scanner? How is it useful? Potentially, how many people will get spooked by the warning and decide not to run the scanner after all?

But that's nothing. You can't even rename a desktop icon without an "As administrator" confirmation, even though the logged-in user *is* an administrator.
--- End quote ---
I don't experience that on my machine, but maybe it's because I have the desktop pointing to my D: drive.
--- End quote ---

That may well be. I still don't get why deleting items does not require admin rights, but renaming does.
In "Default programs", all the file associations grabbed by Windows Media Player are grayed out and can't be changed (to the VLC player, say). The workaround seems to be to manually change association for each individual file extension, which is somewhat arduous. I hope this is a bug.
--- End quote ---
If you use the file association method inside VLC you'll accomplish your task a lot easier.
--- End quote ---

I did that of course, and Media Player was still launching. I've had to select individual file extensions and remap them one by one. Like I said, this could be unintended.

Innuendo:
Why should there be a prompt to run a spyware scanner? How is it useful?-tranglos (November 30, 2009, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

All Windows knows is that something (your spyware scanner) is trying to get direct access to your hard drive & registry. Windows does know that lots of malicious programs try to do the same thing. Windows, unfortunately, cannot differentiate between good programs and bad programs. It's near impossible to do.

However, Norton was working on a UAC white-list app that would allow one to okay a UAC prompt once & then have the system remember that app as being okay & never prompting again. I haven't heard anything about that program lately, though.

I did that of course, and Media Player was still launching. I've had to select individual file extensions and remap them one by one. Like I said, this could be unintended.
--- End quote ---

Lots of programs had this problem when Vista first came out, but the problem went away once the programs were updated to change the file associations the right way. Are you using the latest version of VLC? You may need to upgrade.

nite_monkey:
For Device Manager and a lot more a 'trick' (not really, but surprisingly not everyone knows about this) I learned back in the Win2k days serves well here:
Right-Click on Computer and go to "Manage".

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (November 29, 2009, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ironically, that is the only way I knew how to open the device manager for a while. (Still is the way I open it too)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version