ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 — first impressions

<< < (3/18) > >>

jomanlk:
I've been using Win7 for a couple of weeks now. Switching from XP to win7 just blows my mind. It's great to look at it and still has the software equivalent of the "new car smell"  :D

A lot of the gripes mentioned here can be fixed by changing the default behavior. I'm still getting used to the fact that Win7 has more clickable areas (breadcrumbs cutting out the 'Up' button, links cutting out control panel icons and so forth). I also like the new start bar, but I won't have a fair assessment till I start working on win7 (still use XP for work, but switching gradually).

UAC does piss me off though, it would have been awesome if you could add exceptions to it. UAC gives me warnings everytime my system starts up because I have Everything search as a startup item. I'm probably going to have to turn it off. Other than that, everything is hunky dory

@JavaJones
backspace goes 'back' (which can sometimes be 'back' depending on the path you took). If you want to go 'up' just use the breadcrumb.

JavaJones:
Right, exactly - backspace is "back" and there's a button for that. An "up" button would still be nice, even though I know the breadcrumbs serve the same (and even greater) purpose.

- Oshyan

f0dder:
The reason stuff starts faster on Win7 than XP is probably SuperFetch, which is pretty nifty :)

Not being able to rename start menu entries or desktop icons without UAC prompt is that you've installed apps "for all users" instead of "just for me".

Carol Haynes:
UAC does piss me off though, it would have been awesome if you could add exceptions to it. UAC gives me warnings everytime my system starts up because I have Everything search as a startup item. I'm probably going to have to turn it off. Other than that, everything is hunky dory
-jomanlk (November 30, 2009, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are two workarounds for running applications that need admin rights during start up:

1) Simplest - turn off UAC (not really recommended but a simple option).

2) Instead of running the application via the normal startup option set up a scheduled task to start the program at login and give the task admin rights. See http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616 for details on how to do it it Vista - the same appraoch works in Windows 7.

tranglos:
Would it not have been better to spring for the US$149.99 Family Pack and get W7HP for 3 machines?
-4wd (November 29, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It would indeed be better, if only Microsoft were selling 3-packs in Poland. They aren't. They used to sell XP in 3-packs, which was how I originally bought it, but Vista and now 7 are only sold in ones. I guess "greedy b*ggers" is right :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version