ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Needful of opinions on graphics cards/drivers ...

<< < (3/4) > >>

barney:
OK, I'm back, with a variation on the question.

Got the new monitor today, and thought I might be able to connect it to the graphics adapter on the motherboard.  Unfortunately, the system seems no longer to recognize that connection/adapter.  Did a quick search - I'll do more tomorrow - but didn't find anything viable.

The dual-head card I have is an nVidia 7300 GS, and the box is a Gateway GT5064 - don't know the motherboard, offhand.  I had to disable the onboard video when In installed the GeForce card, and I don't know how to re-enable it, or even if that is possible.

While I'd like to have an enhanced video card, I'd also like to be able, for the nonce, to use what's here.  So, the question is, "Is there a way to re-enable the motherboard video, to have it coexist with the nVidia card?"

Shades:
You can get adapters to convert one type of graphic connector into another.

Likely one of the outputs from your video card is from the type: DVI  and you have a second monitor with a VGA connector. An adapter that solves this situation shall put you back 2 maybe 3 dollars in a computer store.

With that adapter you don't need the onboard video from your mainboard (good riddance to that RAM polluter, I would say). Besides that, your new videocard is a lot more capable and only one set of graphic drivers will be required/maintained. Save yourself the headache and get one of those adapters.

barney:
'Preciate the return.

I'm kinda dim (read damned ignorant) when it comes to video hardware ... what happens when I put this splitter (?) on the two monitors (of three)?  How much control will I have on the two displays?  Or will that depend upon the OS?  Sorry to be so dumb, but as mentioned, graphics hardware is not my forte (knew I should have taken up gaming <sigh />).

4wd:
The dual-head card I have is an nVidia 7300 GS, and the box is a Gateway GT5064 - don't know the motherboard, offhand.  I had to disable the onboard video when In installed the GeForce card, and I don't know how to re-enable it, or even if that is possible.-barney (December 03, 2009, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

The drivers available for that computer suggest it's using Intel integrated graphics on the motherboard.  This basically means it's a case of one or the other, (motherboard or PCIe), but not both.

If it had been an nVidia based board then you may have got away with it.

There are USB->DVI adapters available, (see here), however they all max out at 1600x1200.  But it would give you one more output if it's not necessary for any really gfx intensive output, (eg. Desktop sans Aero).

barney:
Sorry to be so dumb about this, but if I put a splitter (?) on one of the nVidia heads, will that work?  I'm really lost on the hardware side of graphics.  I've accepted that I cannot use the card and the motherboard hardware at the same time, but it'll be a week or two before I'll receive the new graphics card, and I'd really like to get this working, if possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version