ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Needful of opinions on graphics cards/drivers ...

<< < (2/4) > >>

barney:
Yeah,

What you say is good.  Unfortunately, that's not a viable option at this time.  When I get a new box, these are considerations that will be borne in mind.  However, at this time, while I can do the graphics card, I cannot afford the down time to install, test, configure a new motherboard/system.  I'll likely be hard put just to get the graphics/monitor setup configured in time to start fulfilling the requirement(s) that necessitate the card, as is.

The ATI card that Shades mentioned is a likely prospect, but if something goes wrong, I can always put the current nVidia back in - not quite so simple or easy if I go the motherboard route - and still manage, to a degree, to do what needs must be done.

'Twas my intent - still is, in fact - that my next desktop machine be home-built.  I really want to get a game-capable board, then do as much as I can to make it a monster, even though I'm not involved in the gaming arena, under the concept that if it'll handle games of today's flavour, cad & video will be fairly easy, and normal day-to-day tasks should be a snap.  'Course, may be wrong about that, too, but at least it'll be fun.

That said, my current need, while not immediately pressing, i.e., doesn't have to be ready tomorrow, denies the leisure of DIY solutions.  Maybe OK for a hard-core hardware guy, but I just don't yet have the requisite skill set to accomplish the goal in a timely manner  :o.

So, regardless the merit(s) of your suggestion, I must forgo it and opt for the somewhat galling quick fix  >:(.

JavaJones:
How important is it that the 3rd monitor be on a fast card? You could think about a PCI-based graphics card just for that 3rd display. ;)

- Oshyan

barney:
I would love to have that capability, but slots are full, and there's nothing than can be discarded  :-[.  Life would be beautiful if I had just one more slot  :(.

Innuendo:
Then in your case I'd go for the ATI solution. Matrox is a very eccentric company & has very eccentric drivers.

At least with an ATI solution you are going to get access to the Catalyst drivers which release an WHQL set of drivers every month.

Lashiec:
If you opt for the ATI solution, be sure to get a Radeon 5750. It can drive up to three monitors (you have to use a DisplayPort-DVI/VGA converter to use the third), but it's significantly cheaper than a 5900, which is extremely overkill, even more if are not a gamer. Maybe even you will be able to use a 5600, which is even cheaper, but I don't know if this model can officially cope up with three monitors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version