ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Needful of opinions on graphics cards/drivers ...

(1/4) > >>

barney:
Not certain this is the right place, but don't see anything obvious for hardware issues.  If this needs to be moved - it prolly does - no problem.

I've found myself in a position such that I need a 3rd monitor.  (Don't ask, it's a long story  :(.)

Currently have an nVidia 7300 GS card, with two outputs, been working fine, even with the switch to Windows 7.

However, while searching for video cards with 4-8 outputs (3-4 would be ideal), I cannot seem to find any legitimate reviews, performance analyses, & the like.

So, anyone have experience, a preference, in regard to such cards?  The leader, at least in find frequency, seems to be Matrox, with ATI next, but w/o valid reviews, it's awkward to decide.

Not a game player, so don't need WoW capability or the like, but this may involve a lot of graphic/video work.  Running Win7, 32-bit, at least until I get a newer system.  2.8G Intel dual-core CPU, 3G RAM.  Suppose the card should have a pretty strong GPU, but that'll have to be balanced against price/performance, I'd think.  It'll need at least 1920x1200 resolution & 3 - heads? - outputs, and I'd really like to keep it as far under $1,000 as possible.

I don't mind spending the coin, but at the prices I've seen, don't think I can afford to experiment very much.

'Preciate any feedback.

mouser:
there is a brand new video card with 8 outputs, can't remember the name+make currently.
however, you should know that for up to 4 monitors, the most common solution is 2 video cards.
that's what i use and it works without a hitch.

Shades:
ATI cards:
Get one that support Eyefinity (definitely HD Radeon 5000 range only, likely the 5900).
Will set you back some 600 US dollars.
Specs are probably overkill and at this time hard to get.

Matrox cards:
Their latest model supports a lot of monitors but it comes at a very high price, 800+ more dollars. Slashdotters were not that positive about the price/performance ratio.

Is it not smarter to get 2 rather simple cards, each having 2 outputs and use them in CrossFire (ATI) or SLI (NVidia)? Check if your motherboard supports either one or both of those systems. Seems to me the solution that is easiest to implement.  

barney:
Yep,

Yer both right ... however, being correct does not put appropriate slots on my motherboard :-[.  And, indeed, I'd much prefer the dual card option for several reasons not related to price, but - alas - that is not to be.  Likewise, it'll be a while yet before I can get a 64-bit machine  :(.

So I'm pretty much stuck with a single card, and it'll have to fit the slot of the current one at that ... guess I should open the box to see what kind of slot it's using.

I'm budgeted for up to $1K, so the ATI you mentioned is definitely worth checking.  My problem so far has been getting user reviews, not the price.  Time was that I'd go for the high dollar unit on the assumption that it would be the best performer, but I've been disabused of that concept for decades ... seems life was so much simpler when I was so much younger  :'(.

mouser:
being correct does not put appropriate slots on my motherboard.. I'm budgeted for up to $1K
--- End quote ---
perhaps you should consider whether it might not be smarter to upgrade to a motherboard with dual pci-e graphics card slots?

i mean if you need more than 4 monitors, then yes it may make sense to get one of these new crazy graphics cards which can drive 8 monitors with one card.. but if 4 is good then i would change my motherboard and get one that supports 2 cards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version