ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

looking for an easy way to convert vhs tapes to dvd

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
I use this baby: EasyCAP USB Dongle Affiliate Link (non-aff link). $11.81 and really easy to use.
Here's a YouTube review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfkfyFRcN4
-scancode (November 27, 2009, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm, that looks interesting.  I have a bunch of VHS I recorded from digital cable.  A few are either not out on DVD or the DVD quality is even worse than the VHS.  For $15 and the cost of a VCR it might be worth transferring some of them.

Is it strictly real-time capture?

scancode:
Is it strictly real-time capture?
-MilesAhead (November 30, 2009, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. I guess you could speed up the VCR and then slow down the vid on the pc... But the results would be sub-optimal to absolute crap.

4wd:
I bought one of those EasyCAP devices on one of the deal-a-day sites here, (in Aust.), a while ago.

I think it lasted about 1 hour on my machine before I gave up on it.  The drivers they provided, (and updated ones from the manufacturer), would not allow me to capture in full PAL resolution using software that was a lot better than the cut-down rubbish they provided.

I went back to using an old PCI Lifeview Prime34 TV Tuner card's analog input and my choice of software which gave me more control over the input signal and the capture file format.

I gave the EasyCAP to my parents who probably won't mind using the software it comes with.

NOTE: I'm not saying it's a bad device, it just wasn't suitable for me trying to get the best transfer I could within my limited budget, (I already had the TV card).  An external device for digitising the analog signal should produce a better result than a cheap internal card, (less signal interference), but in this case being stuck at 640x480 without resorting to their software was a PITA.

techidave:
so 4wd, what was your choice of software??

MilesAhead:
I've purchased at least 4 HP "media center" PCs and I've never used the video card yet.  My dual core didn't have a free 32 bit slot and a fast network was much more important so I pulled the video card to use the slot for a Gb wired card. I don't think it was digital HD anyway.  I toyed with the idea of getting a Sima capture gizmo that bypasses the distortion so you can back up store-bought tapes.  But 2 hours to back up a 2 hour movie is just not appealing. I have much better luck with disc than tape generally speaking.

It's a shame some of these videos are pretty much lost. I have a pretty nice copy of the first version of Lathe of Heaven if the PBS begging and interviews were edited out.  The one you see if you get the DVD looks like it's on a TV with a rabit ears.  Total snow and distortion.  Likewise I got a very clean copy of Battle in Outer Space. Pan & Scan but was much better looking than any copy sold until the most recent 16x9 releases on DVD.  Got it off Action Channel on digital cable.  But I don't really have enough of those collector type videos to make it worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version