ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

looking for an easy way to convert vhs tapes to dvd

(1/3) > >>

techidave:
I have a friend who like to convert some old vhs and BETA tapes (football games) to DVD.  It would require some editing to get rid of the unimportant stuff.

The question is:  Is there some kind of hardware box,software or maybe both that would make this easier to do?  He is not very techie but is persistent, so he probably could figure it out.

He is running XP Pro on a 3 or 4 year old computer if that helps.

What kind of recommendations do my fellow dc'ers have?

scancode:
I use this baby: EasyCAP USB Dongle Affiliate Link (non-aff link). $11.81 and really easy to use.
Here's a YouTube review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfkfyFRcN4

techidave:
would Blu-Ray be a better choice than a DVD?  I have heard it is higher quality but have no experience with it.

Shades:
If the source isn't that good (inherent to the whole VHS format) don't expect that the end result shows you a better quality picture on Blu-Ray than a DVD would.

Actually, both Blu-Ray and DVD are capable of showing high def. video, while VHS will not.

To be honest, if the video source is not coming from a high def. (digital) camera it ain't worth the effort to use Blu-Ray (besides it storage capacity I mean). Normally a Blu-Ray player is connected to a high def. TV (plasma/LCD) that has a higher resolution than a standard TV. When using a VHS source, put it on Blu-Ray and show it on this setup, the picture will be blown up to this resolution and that will not go gracefully (picture quality wise) most of the time.

VHS is dead for a good reason, let's keep it at that. 

JavaJones:
Not to mention the muuuch greater expense of both Blu-ray writer drives and media.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version