ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for recommendations of RAW photo processor

<< < (2/4) > >>

JavaJones:
Honestly I think RawTherapee produces some of the best results. It's fitting it into the rest of your workflow that may be a challenge. Not sure if it can be automated. There are other tools based on dcRAW that can though. Not sure if you've seen this quality comparison page (a bit outdated now, but still interesting): http://www.rawtherapee.com/RAW_Compare/

The other thing to consider is that ideally you would do *all* work, all post work, on the full-range RAW file, not on an 8 bit/channel version. If you're saving out to say 16 bit TIFF and you can potentially maintain some of the benefits, but I'm not sure how well PSP does with >8 bit color spaces.

Because of all that I'm really hoping to find something that does it all, or most of "it". Bibble seems promising as it has potentially good organizational tools, along with a good RAW engine, and some editing tools (e.g. it'll have Clone in the final version).

- Oshyan

Lutz_:
And since I'm insisting on good results from the defaults, it should be possible for me to invoke the tool from the command line, saying "process everything in directory X", as an automated part of my workflow.
-CWuestefeld (November 26, 2009, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bibble can be invoked from image organizers like imatch and idimager via macros to automatically process images and return them to the organizers.  But I guess these organizers are a bit more advanced than Acdsee.

paulobrabo:
"The other thing to consider is that ideally you would do *all* work, all post work, on the full-range RAW file"

Precisely.

CWuestefeld, I'm doubting any product will give you the one-click results you are expecting. The real power of RAW is in manual tweaking.The "process everything in directory X" will seldom work, unless all photos were taken using the same exposure, light conditions and camera settings -- and that's rarely the case.

If you want to do most of your editing in PSP, RawTherapee is more than enough to convert your batches to tiff. But it can be used to do so much more.

CWuestefeld:
The real power of RAW is in manual tweaking
-paulobrabo (November 27, 2009, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

No argument. I'm trying to get *everything* into a normal workflow. For those things that merit it, I can go back to the RAW processor and tweak. But if I can get most stuff good enough, I'll be satisfied.

JavaJones:
So the question then becomes why not shoot in RAW+JPG? The JPG is usually processed "good enough" in itself by the camera. Little further tweaking needed. And if you do need to do major tweaking, the RAW is available.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version