ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"New image organizer feedback wanted"

<< < (4/10) > >>

40hz:
I remember I had trouble installing OverExposure on my daughters computer.  It said it had .Net 3.5.  To resolve the problem I downloaded the latest .Net 3.5 and uninstalled the old version and re-installed the new.
-StCroixSkipper (November 25, 2009, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

@StCroixSkipper - Did that:

3) Did a complete uninstall/reboot/new install. - Still no good.
-40hz (November 25, 2009, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

It just might be this particular box I'm testing it on so I'll give it a try on a different machine when I get a chance.

Have a great Thanksgiving Day tomorrow! :)

JavaJones:
I do think the renaming should be optional. The auto-renaming is a nice feature for a lot of people I think, similar to what the default Windows camera transfer system does, but it's not always desirable, especially for more "professional" users.

You could add RAW support with DCRAW and/or LibRAW if you want. They're free, DCRAW is the source of functionality for both, but LibRAW exposes it in a more friendly library I think. I would definitely suggest supporting RAW format as it will make the app a lot more attractive to a wider audience (like meee! hehe).

For even broader format support you might consider using the GFL SDK from the maker of XnView, and/or FreeImage, both of which might also incidentally help with the EXIF problem below.

If you're not doing lossless EXIF changes now, I honestly think this is a huge problem and you should have a warning whenever you change EXIF data in an image. Repeated JPEG saving can do horrible things to files. I'm not sure if that's actually what you're doing though. Unless you're actually re-encoding the JPG when you save, it may already be working correctly. But this should definitely be verified as it's vital for maintaining long-term image quality. Here's an example of what can happen with repeated JPEG saving: http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-resaving.html
I know there are ways to change *just* the EXIF data. Definitely something to look into and resolve ASAP IMO.

As for dupe checking, there is another project somewhere here on DC for this. You might consider teaming up for this part of the functionality, or just calling the other app when needed.

It's already looking pretty cool though, and I really appreciate that you made this public for all of us to play with. :)

- Oshyan

StCroixSkipper:
I have found an XP system I tried to run OverExposure on and was able to reproduce the same error.  It has .Net 3.5 SP 1 installed.  

I thought it might be the WIC functions causing this but according to the documentation, WIC is part of .Net 3.0.  I tried downloading the WIC and installing it but I got the message that "a newer version was already installed."

I put a try/catch block around the code in the constructor and tried it again.  I don't catch this exception.

I think it must be a library I'm using that comes with Vista but not with XP.

rgdot:
I will give it a try on another machine as well. FYI this machine has the latest .NET, if you meant re-installing .NET I will do that later as well.

Saw your XP issue post while typing.

StCroixSkipper:
*** Warning ***
OverExposure re-encodes BitmapImage each time it modifies the metadata.   Since I make it really easy to modify the metadata, this occurs alot.

I've actually accessed the pixel bits separately and calculated MD5 digests on just the pixel bits.  After changing the metadata, they are different.  This is a known problem with the jpeg format.

It could be solved by writing another encoder that simply encodes the metadata but preserves the pixel bits.

Also, until i resolve it, OverExposure doesn't appear to work on XP systems.  The error occurs before my code is executed.  (I've put a try/catch block around the code in the constructor and I don't catch the error.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version