ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"New image organizer feedback wanted"

<< < (6/10) > >>

40hz:
40hz,
I'm  interested in the problems you had with Search 4.0.
-StCroixSkipper (November 28, 2009, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Search anomalies and excessive CPU usage.

Attempted an uninstall and reinstall at Microsoft's recommendation. Search uninstalled, but refused to be reinstalled using either standalone or via update afterwards. Once I flat-lined the drive and restored a clean copy of barebones Win XP Pro followed by a new install of Search via update, everything worked fine for about a month. Then CPU use started shooting up again.

Went back an forth with Microsoft several times on various issues following that but ultimately got nowhere.

In the end I abandoned Search since I'm very organized with my files to begin with - and Search wasn't bringing enough to the party for the hassles it created on my machine. Truth is, I can usually lay my hands on whatever I'm looking for pretty quickly without needing to search for things. Nowadays, use Everything as a fallback on those rare occasions when I do actually need such a tool.

I've gone over to Win7 for day to day use anyway so I'm not going continue to bother with XP for this app. The only reason I loaded OverExposure onto this particular box is because I'm still using it as a test machine until I work up the energy to wipe and set it up for Win7.

We'll be bringing new Win7 test machines online next week so I'll be sure to give OverExposure a shot on one of those.

:)

StCroixSkipper:
I can take out the search code in one version so that OverExposure will work on XP without Windows Search but there won't be any search capability.  But you could provide feedback on the other aspects...

Anyone interested in a version that runs on XP without search?

rgdot:
I would be, if possible it would be great

StCroixSkipper:
Here is a copy of OverExposure with Search Disabled.  It should work on XP machines without Search 4.0 installed.  I haven't tried it on XP without Search 4.0, all of my XP machines have XP.

If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll fix it.

StCroixSkipper:
Sorry, All my machines have Search 4.0 installed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version