ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Evernote alternative that has an online interface?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Paul Keith:
@rxantos

It's not an alternative but you might want to consider the secure notes feature in LastPass.

Maybe you could even get them to add features to it.

Still...I'm guessing most would be saying to use fsekrit or TrueCrypt combined with DropBox.

J-Mac:
If you are going to use dropbox to save a copy of your offline database, online, then go for Surfulater.

As far as browser support for anything not Firefox/IE, Surfulater can create entries from clipboard content.
-app103 (November 25, 2009, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Surfulater does not play well with Dropbox - at all. If you use Surfulater then you will have noticed that it takes an inordinate amount of time to close; sometimes more than 30 seconds. During that time it is saving the DBs one last time, reconciling the temp files into the DB, etc. Of course once the program main is closed Dropbox suddenly grabs the DB so it can upload it, which it cannot do while Surfulater is open. When that happens Surfulater sometimes cannot autosave and roll its temp files into the DB. Also in one case Surfulater and Dropbox bickering over control of the DB after Surfulater's main program had closed - or actually had relinquished its lock on the DB files - caused the DB to be left in a state where it was temporarily renamed and Surf. never finished that. Upon the next start it could not find my database and loaded an older backup. I had to cut and paste a lot to get it fixed.

Neville doesn't seem very interested in accomodating Dropbox access to the DB and so I must remember to manually close Surfulater before shutting down or rebooting; about five minutes ahead of time. And I really don't like having to consider that "lead time" for shut down in order not to lose data from Surfulater. I just stopped keeping my Surf DBs in Dropbox.

I also use Surfulater much less frequently and use Ultra Recall instead. Unless or until Neville wakes up.

Thanks!

Jim

Paul Keith:
I don't have Surfulater but J-Mac, have you tested this on other online services?

Would be interesting to see what services work well with it.

The Surfulater-Dropbox was what kept me considering whether I should buy the program or not.

J-Mac:
I don't have Surfulater but J-Mac, have you tested this on other online services?

Would be interesting to see what services work well with it.

The Surfulater-Dropbox was what kept me considering whether I should buy the program or not.
-Paul Keith (December 28, 2009, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Paul,

I have my Ultra Recall data in Dropbox as well as my InfoQube and Linkman data files. They all work perfectly in there. Granted Dropbox has to wait for any of these files to be freed-up, meaning not locked by the program(s) using them before getting an updated sync of them. But all these I mentioned free the files as soon as you close them. Surfulater for some reason frees up its databases when I exit the program BUT it continues to do a final consolidation of temp files and save them to the Surfulater KB (database). It is when Surfulater frees the database that Dropbox immediately grabs it to sync it with their server that the problem arises. Surfulater should keep the database locked till it is done with it. Developer insists that isn't what happens but I can plainly see it using Process Explorer and I even documented it with Process Monitor. Makes for a timing PITA!

Jim

Dormouse:
I've read and reread the thread, and I'm not really clear what precisely is being looked for (or why).

I mostly use Opera. Evernote works very well with it.

I also use Ultra Recall . It does seem to work fine with Dropbox (and other similar services). But, I prefer to use it for structured info - so I would never think of it as a program for clipping notes from web pages, although it does do this, unless the clipping is to do with specific projects.

I tend to use Evernote for unstructured info - or stuff where I'm still to decide on how to organise it - and for stuff I want OCRd (eg text on the web as an image rather than text). It does it pretty well. It's not obvious to me that I would achieve the same with a Ultra Recall and Dropbox combo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version