ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

google results

(1/3) > >>

kalos:
hello

in google search results, some webpages' text preview has more text that if you visit the webpage itself (where full view of the whole text is restricted)

I am not talking about webpages that are archived/cached, or at least the webpages I am talking about don't have a 'cached version' link when they appear in google results

why this happens? how can google robot retrieve all the text while a regular user can't?
how can one see what google robot 'sees'? maybe disguish as a google robot?

thanks

4wd:
It's normally because the website has inserted all types of search terms into the pages' meta data, (or some other non-visible portion of HTML code).  If you view the page source you'll probably find all the terms you searched for enclosed in meta tags, eg.

<meta http-equiv="keywords" content="sex rock roll naked wolfman ad-infinitum>"

I wish all search engines would only index the visible content of websites.

Some websites also set the text colour to the same as the background colour to hide all the bogus search terms just to get you to their site to view the ads.

I've seen sites where the terms in the meta data filled 5 screens, whereas the entire site fitted into one screen or less.

Stoic Joker:
I thought most search engines had started blocking/blacklisting/ranking last sites that did that sort of thing?

4wd:
I thought most search engines had started blocking/blacklisting/ranking last sites that did that sort of thing?
-Stoic Joker (November 23, 2009, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe that you're right but I seem to still get the occasional site that somehow gets into the results but has nothing to do with what I was looking for, (ie. search terms aren't anywhere on the visible page nor is it related), but looking in the source will show the terms there.

It's definitely better than it used to be though.

kalos:
unfortunately viewing source does not have the desired effect

for examply in this webpage it is not shown the "indication of early ego development, because instinctual needs are.."

webpage

any help how google can read the text?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version