ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Forte Agent reaches 6.0, now with "hide quoted text"

<< < (2/5) > >>

superboyac:
I don't think tranglos was wishing for newsreader support, but rather the new "hide quoting" feature that Agent just added.
-Innuendo (November 23, 2009, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah!  i see.  Sorry, my bad.  Still, i think it will take them forever and a day to add something that significant (yes, I'm being sarcastic).

I asked them to add a checkbox option so that the autoformat feature in microed will allow one carriage return to be interpreted as a new line.  They refused.  Adamantly.  I don't quite understand why.

tranglos:
I asked them to add a checkbox option so that the autoformat feature in microed will allow one carriage return to be interpreted as a new line.  They refused.  Adamantly.  I don't quite understand why.
-superboyac (November 23, 2009, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's only a small exaggeration to say **everyone** asked them to change that behavior of the editor. it's hopeless.

superboyac:
-superboyac (November 23, 2009, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's only a small exaggeration to say **everyone** asked them to change that behavior of the editor. it's hopeless.
-tranglos (November 23, 2009, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Really?  I didn't realize that.  When I asked and made a fuss about it, it seemed like I was the only one who had issues with it and everyone else was happy with it.  Why are they so stubborn about it?  The weird thing is that many times, I have said "screw it, I'll just use the 'plain windows editor' option".  But whenever I do, it seems like a little feature or two doesn't work quite as well as in Microed, so i go back to microed, and get frustrated by other things.  It's like a vicious cycle.

tranglos:
I asked them to add a checkbox option so that the autoformat feature in microed will allow one carriage return to be interpreted as a new line.  They refused.  Adamantly.  I don't quite understand why.-superboyac (November 23, 2009, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's only a small exaggeration to say **everyone** asked them to change that behavior of the editor. it's hopeless. -tranglos (November 23, 2009, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Really?  I didn't realize that.  When I asked and made a fuss about it, it seemed like I was the only one who had issues with it and everyone else was happy with it.  Why are they so stubborn about it?-superboyac (November 23, 2009, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whenever TheBat! comes up, on whatever forum, this issue is raised and most people hate it. I've only ever seen it defended by a few hardliners on TheBat mailing list. this "feature" is awfully annoying, and the developers' attitude adds insult to injury. I'd have given up on TB long ago, if it weren't so convenient (and, for me, reliable) in all other aspects.

The developers' sole rationale for how the plaintext editor behaves is that in the editor, you see exactly what will be sent. If a line is not wrapped, it will be sent unwrapped, etc. Well, it's true as far as it goes, but *so what*?

They may have had a point once, a long time ago, when word wrapping was still something of a luxury on certain platforms (and there were MTAs on Unix and VMS VAX systems that would unceremoniously truncate lines longer than a certain constant value), but that was in mid-nineties. The rationale makes no sense - it's like printing a newspaper that you cannot fold, to ensure what you see is exactly what came out of the printing press. Argh. You are certainly not alone in your frustration.

Innuendo:
Not to derail the "Let's Bash The Bat!" train, but I'm curious as to if anyone is still using Agent? More specifically, anyone here on DC use it? Or ever use it?

There was a time when Agent dominated the Usenet landscape, but these days it's regarded more as a fringe player.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version