ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Forte Agent reaches 6.0, now with "hide quoted text"

(1/5) > >>

tranglos:
Forte has released version 6.0 of its venerable newsreader, Agent. Their mailing highlights these new features:

* Automatic server failover when downloading message bodies
   * Faster Usenet header downloads (compressed headers)
  * A new hide-quoted-text command
   * Improved browser navigation
   * New go-offline and retry-failed-tasks-now commands
   * Improvements to searching

I just had to upgrade. The "hide quoted text" feature (press "Q" to toggle) is something I've asked from Forte a number of times, starting in 2002 or maybe even earlier. I'd seen it around that time in a Linux text-mode newsreader 'mutt', and couldn't believe Windows newsreaders and email clients did not have it. A mere 7 years later, my wish has been granted :)

(New users: $US 29.00, upgrade: $US 19.00. They don't appear to surcharge VAT for EU buyers.)

Now, since I no longer use Agent for email, I wonder how much longer it'll take Ritlabs to implement the same in TheBat! I've been asking them, too, for just about as long.

Innuendo:
Forte has released version 6.0 of its venerable newsreader, Agent. -tranglos (November 22, 2009, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Egads...is this program still around? I remember when I started using Forte Agent. The version number was v0.90. :)

superboyac:
Now, since I no longer use Agent for email, I wonder how much longer it'll take Ritlabs to implement the same in TheBat! I've been asking them, too, for just about as long.
-tranglos (November 22, 2009, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good luck...Ritlabs only adds extremely subtle and minor features as far as I've seen.  For them to add newsreader support like that, well, that would be the most significant thing they've done in  several years.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Bat, but they never ever add any useful features to the program.

tranglos:
Good luck...Ritlabs only adds extremely subtle and minor features as far as I've seen.  For them to add newsreader support like that, well, that would be the most significant thing they've done in  several years. 
-superboyac (November 22, 2009, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is a minor feature, though. TheBat already highlights quotes better than Agent, since it can use different colors for nested levels of quoted text. To simply hide the quoted lines instead of coloring them should be relatively easy, especially in the viewer, where text is not editable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Bat, but they never ever add any useful features to the program.
-superboyac (November 22, 2009, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This I agree with. The last feature that meant anything to me was the automatic versioned backup. Then again, the one time I tried to restore account data from a .tbk file, it crashed :)

Innuendo:
Good luck...Ritlabs only adds extremely subtle and minor features as far as I've seen.  For them to add newsreader support like that, well, that would be the most significant thing they've done in  several years.-superboyac (November 22, 2009, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think tranglos was wishing for newsreader support, but rather the new "hide quoting" feature that Agent just added.

I downloaded Agent v6.0 last night to check it out. Looks like they have added all the features that I deemed to be too important for a newsreader to lack since I left Agent behind a few years ago. My first observation on configuring the beast was that I was amazed by the number of options they have crammed into the menus and dialogs. Anyone who wants to micro-manage their newsreader will be pleased.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version