topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Apple's App Store Mistake  (Read 15760 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple's App Store Mistake
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 03:38 PM »
^ I think it's more about what Apple's primary 'product' can be said to be- Marketing.  If you can eliminate X% of issues by making the loop closed, and then build upon that, then you have Apple...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 07:19 PM »
... just slap on a "no warranty/support if used on 3rd party hardware", and the hackers would be happy.

But that is the point of Apple's marketing strategy - they are selling cut price hardware at huge markup prices and they don't want to open the floodgates to nerds with apple clones and cut their market share.

Now that they have moved to Intel hardware and nVidia graphics they basically sell the same boxes as everyone else (except for a bit of prettifying) so opening the market (even without support) to MacOS on anything other than an Apple produced computer would kill their market.

The same could be said for iTunes - why not give the option of unprotected MP3 files and alongside Apple's restrictive formats and open the iTunes shop to non-iPod users. Simple the market share of iPods would drop like a stone and that is the major revenue stream.

Apple have always had one strategy (right back from the first Apple computers but especially since the Mac was introduced in the early 80s):

1) Say Mac is better than DOS/Windows/Linux/any other OS very loudly and continuously in a mantra like way until their own customers become brainwashed and would never consider moving to a different computer system
2) Lock the OS to their own hardware and only their hardware
3) Hike the prices - it must be good because it is so expensive
4) Put it in packaging that is so minimalist it must be cool
5) Repeat every year with pretty much the same products but more expensive with a few tweaks and persuade customers they can't live without the next shiny toy

Its a clever revenue model - but release software products into the wild west of PC land and the model would break instantly. For a start they could no longer say that Apple computers are better than anything else because everything else can run MacOS.

Its the same old story and one of the reasons they are locking down application development for iPhones and bricking devices that break out of the Apple way of doing things.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:22 PM by Carol Haynes »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 02:09 AM »
Carol: I know, I know - but keep the context in mind :)
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 09:15 AM »
I see the point in this, but it's not like having a non-closed platform makes it less stable on the hardware it's designed for - just slap on a "no warranty/support if used on 3rd party hardware", and the hackers would be happy.

A noble thought, but will never happen while Steve Jobs is at the helm of Apple. If his closed platform were to become open then he'd lose some of the control he'd have over his Apple world & his Apple vision.

I think everyone who knows anything at all about Steve Jobs knows that he's not going to give up one iota of control over anything.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Heck, even the iPod wheel thingy wasn't very original

Am I the only one in the world who can't get that stupid wheel to work? Most of the time it won't respond to my touch at all, and finally when it does it scrolls way too fast.

I can't stand the wheel. It's too inaccurate a control scheme for me.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Deozaan, are you perhaps a member of the undead or a vampire? Maybe even a werewolf? If not, I have no idea. ;)

- Oshyan

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Deozaan: nope, I feel the same way about it - definitely not my preferred UI interaction.
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Am I the only one in the world who can't get that stupid wheel to work? Most of the time it won't respond to my touch at all, and finally when it does it scrolls way too fast.

There are only two different kind of people in the world. Those who love the iPod wheel control scheme and those who hate it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 10:54 PM »
There are only two different kind of people in the world. Those who love the iPod wheel control scheme and those who hate it.

This reminds me of the old gag:

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can add and those who can't

;D