ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Apple's App Store Mistake

<< < (2/7) > >>

tomos:

Very interesting.  Apple does demand control, that's mostly why I avoid their products no matter how cool I think they are.  I have not once bought an apple product in my life, yet I think they are super cool.  I don't think I can say that for any other company.-superboyac (November 22, 2009, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
While I realize that terms have a tendency to change meaning over time, Apple does not qualify for any meaning of cool that I'm familiar with. Ultra Trendy... Yes. -Stoic Joker (November 22, 2009, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

cool because they make their stuff look really good - that's one of the big reasons they're ultra-trendy/popular after all. And as superboyac says, they 'innovate' a bit.

But no, they arent being very cool are they !!

Innuendo:
I have not once bought an apple product in my life, yet I think they are super cool.  I don't think I can say that for any other company.-superboyac (November 22, 2009, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I feel the exact same way. I was out shopping yesterday & got a hands-on look at the iTouch 32 GB. Man, it was slim...it was sleek...it was sexy. I'd buy one if the jailbreaking was not such a cat and mouse game.

--I've never understood why other companies never challenge the Apple products even though they have the time AND resources to do so.  For example, in the article, they say the RIM doesn't have a chance to compete with iphone apps despite their market share in that industry.  I don't get that, why not?  How come there aren't a lot of Blackberry apps?  What is it about the Blackberry that makes people not want or not want to create apps for it?  I don't understand, because just as many people have Blackberry's as iphones.
--- End quote ---

Lots of companies do try to compete with Apple. Nearly every year there are at least 3 or 4 products that are billed as being an iPhone killer or an iPod killer, but the problem is that even if the products are as good as Apple's offerings they aren't better to the degree it would take to get people to give up the time & money they have invested in Apple's schemes. People would have to leave a lot of apps & music & TV shows behind to move to a different platform & Apple's products are good enough that even if a competitor comes out with a cool feature it's not enough to break Apple's hold over people.

As for Blackberry, they do have an app store, but their strength is their downfall. They've always aimed their products at business. Well, most IT departments don't want employees clogging up company phones with a bunch fo apps that could muck things up so these devices are locked down. Most individuals won't own a Blackberry. They'll pass it up so they can own what their friends have...Apple products.

Other companies were years ahead of Apple in the portable mp3 player market (ahem...Sony) yet they could never get a hold of it.
--- End quote ---

Sony had personal music players, sure...and they could have owned the market, but they piddled away their head start by not embracing the MP3 format right away. For the longest time, their personal music players only dealt in their weird proprietary format. By the time they wised up, it was too late.

rgdot:

Sony had personal music players, sure...and they could have owned the market, but they piddled away their head start by not embracing the MP3 format right away. For the longest time, their personal music players only dealt in their weird proprietary format. By the time they wised up, it was too late.
-Innuendo (November 22, 2009, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really ironic, seeing what iTunes does to files.
I have never bought any Apple either and my only experience with iTunes specifically is my sibling's mac. And mac in general with a few more friends and family.

Innuendo:
Really ironic, seeing what iTunes does to files.-rgdot (November 22, 2009, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apple & iTunes had their proprietary format, but at least you could load your MP3s onto your iPod. Sony's early devices only handled their proprietary format. If you wanted to listen to your MP3s on their devices you had to use their program to convert your files to their proprietary format first.

We see how well that worked out for them.

superboyac:
Really ironic, seeing what iTunes does to files.-rgdot (November 22, 2009, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apple & iTunes had their proprietary format, but at least you could load your MP3s onto your iPod. Sony's early devices only handled their proprietary format. If you wanted to listen to your MP3s on their devices you had to use their program to convert your files to their proprietary format first.

We see how well that worked out for them.
-Innuendo (November 22, 2009, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly.  They were stubborn about that for almost a full decade.  I've pointed out several times how it's unheard of for a company to have a multi-year head start on a technological innovation and not do anything successful with it.  Then apple came along and stole the market in a matter of months.  Like a german blitzkrieg. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version