topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any Way to Manually Edit a *.adu Spell Check File?  (Read 4179 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any Way to Manually Edit a *.adu Spell Check File?
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Spell Check files can be a PITA at times. Most software allows you to edit or add to the user or custom spell check file, but one word at a time. I currently have one master Custom.dic ll my own custom entries: family and friend's names, place names, slang words, cuss words, and any other words not normally found in a Spell Check dictionary file. I update the Custom.dic file of any new software by copying the contents of my "master" file into the new program's Custom.dic file. Works well for me.

However some programs use a *.adu/*.adm file for their spell checker, and that can't be edited in a standard text editor. There use to be a utility available free from Addictive Software that let me add bulk text manually to *.adu files but that does not appear to be available anymore. I have a program now that uses *.adu files for both the main and user's custom spell check dictionaries and I would like to add my "master" list of words to the custom or user's dictionary but I can't find a program that will let me edit - or even read - the *.adu file.

Anyone know of something that would help?

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any Way to Manually Edit a *.adu Spell Check File?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:43 PM »
looks like they are now selling the dictiontary wizard editor, see: http://www.addictive...ware.com/dictwiz.htm

and the order page is at the very bottom of: http://sites.fastspr...duct/ProductLicenses

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any Way to Manually Edit a *.adu Spell Check File?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I saw that Jes - and that's not even like the simple utility they had before. That one allowed opening the adu file where it looked just like a regular text file opened in Notepad. This one looks like it does more but the UI is more like the spell checker edit windows you see in programs now. They really don’t like to make things easy, do they?

Oh, and $50 USD for this app now? Crazy! I was hoping someone knew of a way to edit the adu file as is. Maybe convert it from binary to something human-readable? Grasping at the wind, I guess.

Oh well - I am NOT tipping Addictive Software this time!!  :P :P ;D ;D

Thanks!

Jim