topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Gizmodo: Everything You Need to Know About [Google's] Chrome OS  (Read 4739 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Google had an event about their Google Chrome OS today.. Anyone read any good write-ups? Here's one from Gizmodo entitled "Everything You Need to Know About Chrome OS"

I try to aviod commenting on google stuff as much as I can, because for whatever reason (maybe it's an unreasonable suspicion of giant corporations), i view most of what google does as a greedy and disguised attempt to lock down market share for their advertising; maybe that's unfair, I don't know.  Technically though, they are usually up to something interesting.

Google went to great pains to emphasize that today's event wasn't a launch—that'll come a year from now, apparently, with a public beta still well over the horizon. This is all about a seeing the OS for the first time; understanding in real terms how it's different from what's out there; figuring out why you might actually want to use it; etc. So! Here's what we knew going in..

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:11 PM by mouser »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gizmodo: Everything You Need to Know About [Google's] Chrome OS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:35 PM »
"You'll have to buy a Chrome OS device"

Big gamble and one that is difficult to win, on the 'fashionable' side Apple is not going anywhere anytime soon, on the 'choice and options' side Windows compatible stuff aren't going anywhere.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member