ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Disks: Why size=performance - Interesting article on speeding up your computer

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
I'm still not convinced there is an advantage that is effected by this tweak. Drives fill from the faster outside tracks in (or at least that's my understanding...) so what advantage is there to artificially shrinking the drive if you only have 200-300GB of stuff ... it going to be on the faster outer edge anyway (regardless of how much extra free space there is to rattle around in).
-Stoic Joker (November 19, 2009, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thing is, you don't - necessarily - know how your OS/filesystem choice is going to distribute data, at least not if you make a single big partition. If you only make a 300gig partition on a 1TB drive, I dunno if the LBA-limit trick is going to have any advantage, though :)

tomos:
If you only make a 300gig partition on a 1TB drive, I dunno if the LBA-limit trick is going to have any advantage, though smiley
-f0dder (November 19, 2009, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dont follow you there f0dder - are you saying making a 300gig partition wont be as good as the way they do it (or *will* be as good...)
[or neither maybe ? lol]

4wd:
If you only make a 300gig partition on a 1TB drive, I dunno if the LBA-limit trick is going to have any advantage, though smiley
-f0dder (November 19, 2009, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dont follow you there f0dder.......-tomos (November 19, 2009, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe he means that as you delete/move/copy files around on your system, newly written data will move progressively further into the inner areas of the drive platters, thus slowing down.  Recent filesystems have a habit of just marking things as deleted but not actually using the vacated blocks until available clean blocks are mostly used.  This is why data recovery programs work so good, (the good ones anyway, eg. GetDataBack).

EDIT: GAH!  I think I replied to the part you didn't quote....oh well....back under the rock  :-[

...- are you saying making a 300gig partition wont be as good as the way they do it (or *will* be as good...) [or neither maybe ? lol]
--- End quote ---

To my thinking, it should be the same bearing in mind any access to any other possible partition on the same drive will immediately negate any advantage gained in transfer rate.
But having a single 300GB partition on a 1-2TB drive seems like an awful waste of resources to me.

tomos:
To my thinking, it should be the same bearing in mind any access to any other possible partition on the same drive will immediately negate any advantage gained in transfer rate.
But having a single 300GB partition on a 1-2TB drive seems like an awful waste of resources to me.
-4wd (November 19, 2009, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

you could use the rest as backup (if you get a second drive) -
I have two hard-drives - I've started using the second partition on first drive (OS partition is only about 40gig) to backup important stuff from my second hard drive. Advantages are that it's hardly ever used (couple of times a day) - I hear a *lot* less hard-drive noise going on since I set things up like this - in fact I now hear hardly any which is nice :).

f0dder:
tomos: I'm saying that I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be just as good creating a 300gig partition as it'd be to LBA-limit the drive to 300gig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version